timeline settings for Apple ProRes 422 + suggestion on tapeless camera that records fcp friendly clips

Posted by kelfsten 
So I've converted some MP4 files from the ultraHD FLIP camera over using the Apple Pro Res 422 quick setting in Compressor, and now I can't get them to play in Final Cut. I also need to render all of the files. I know my timeline settings must be incorrect but I can't figure out what to change in the AV Settings (sequence preset is apple prores 422 1280x720 30p 48 kHz, capture setting is set to DVCPRO HD - 1080i60 48 kHz which I think is incorrect, devise control is on firewire ntsc basic).

Also, I think I need a quicker way to bring files into Final Cut. I really like the small portable size and ease of use of the Flip camera for what I'm doing, but the workflow seems to take forever as well as a ton of hard drive space. Does anyone know of another small, inexpensive tapeless camera that records files other than MP4's since Final Cut won't take the MP4 format? I would be ok with standard definition too as long as the recording format is QT files or something that final cut will take. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

I'm working with FCP version 6 & Lacie Drives....Thanks!
Choose an EASY SETUP that matches the format of the clips you converted. OR! Because you have FCP 6, just drag one into a new sequence and have FCP set the settings for you!

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Re: timeline settings for Apple ProRes 422 + suggestion on tapeless camera that records fcp friendly clips
January 11, 2010 04:52PM
> Choose an EASY SETUP that matches the format of the clips you converted. OR! Because you
> have FCP 6, just drag one into a new sequence and have FCP set the settings for you!

Caveat:

While this is the easiest and fastest way to change all your settings, I've seen many editors who don't know what Audio/Video Settings, Sequence Presets and Capture Presets are because they over-rely on Easy Setup.

So, ironically, if you don't know anything about those, I suggest you do NOT use Easy Setup. Because if you do, you will remain blissfully ignorant of why certain things happen and not know how to deal with them -- basic FCP knowledge. Don't use Easy Setups until you have a rudimentary awareness of what exactly the Easy Setup does.

A little crash course:

Easy Setup changes your Sequence Preset, Capture Preset, Audio/Video Playback and Device Control to whatever specs the Easy Setup dictates.

All "Presets" affect only items (such as Sequences and captured clips) created in the future; Presets do not change the settings of pre-existing Sequences and clips to match the Preset.

For example, if you already had a Sequence in your Browser and then use Easy Setup, the Sequence in your Browser will remain at whatever Sequence Setting was used to create it. To change those settings, you have to go into the Sequence itself and change Sequence Settings (APPLE-0), not Sequence Presets. If you create a new Sequence (APPLE-N), then the new Sequence will match the settings in Easy Setup. But if you duplicate the old Sequence (OPTION-D), the resulting new Sequence will still carry the settings from the old Sequence, not the settings dictated by Easy Setup.

And if you edit in a Sequence with wrong settings, just copying and pasting the clips to a new, corrected Sequence will not help; clips will carry problems (eg. resizing, Distort settings) created when they were edited in the wrong Sequence.

This is the kind of nuance that can cause you major problems if you don't understand the process.

Codecs, frame sizes, frame rates, pixel aspect ratios -- all these details are annoying and hard to learn. But it's necessary for any editor to learn them. When you're not familiar with them, check them multiple times per editing session and learn to recognize what those settings mean. Easy Setups sets them for you automatically and can lead to complacency in inexperienced editors. Also, sometimes Easy Setup only gets most of the details right; you often have to adjust one or two things to match the current project at hand.

www.derekmok.com
Derek,

Do you have any suggestions for the issues I have at hand?

Thanks
Re: timeline settings for Apple ProRes 422 + suggestion on tapeless camera that records fcp friendly clips
January 11, 2010 06:38PM
> and now I can't get them to play in Final Cut. I also need to render all of the files.

One thing at a time:

First, do the clips play in QuickTime Player?

Do you get any errors when importing the clips into your FCP project Browser?

Do the clips play in the Viewer?

If they do, do they play in the Timeline?

Select one of the clips and press APPLE-9. List the settings there.

When you bring a clip into your Timeline, FCP is supposed to ask you if you want to "conform the Sequence to the clip". Next time, answer Yes. You shouldn't need to render if you do this.

And for now, do use Easy Setup -- just make sure you study up on exactly what Easy Setup does; don't rely on it for your long-term learning curve or you'll miss a crucial part of learning Final Cut Pro.

> I think I need a quicker way to bring files into Final Cut

Unfortunately, the Flip camera is not a professional camera. It was never meant for a professional editing application. So you're pretty much stuck with the awkward workflow. Tapeless is still not completely mature, in my view -- lots of kinks, and lots of disparate workflows (Canon vs. Panasonic vs. Sony, etc., etc...), unlike tape, which is predictable and road-tested over decades of trial and error.

www.derekmok.com
>Does anyone know of another small, inexpensive tapeless camera that records files other than MP4's since Final Cut won't take the MP4 format?

Um, you get what you pay for.

For me, the best "low-end" tapeless FCP-compatible camera I've worked with has been the JVC GY-HM100. Reliable. Surprisingly sharp. No issues in FCP.

But it's a fixed lens with 1/4 inch CCDs. So, again, you get what you pay for (in this case about 3 grand).

I prefer working with something better. But I wouldn't want to work with anything less.
Thanks for the suggestion on the JVC camera...would love to have that as my personal camera but it's too expensive for me right now. The camera I'm looking for isn't for corporate work, just personal (I just had a baby & want to capture some footage of him) & would also like to use it with my still photography business, So I don't need high-end HD footage, I just want manageable clips to work with that look decent.

So it appears that I'll need to go back to tape which is fine. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive consumer camera? Thank for the feedback!
No need for that. The flip is fine for what you want. Just need to follow Dereks instructions and it will work. You might want to look at iMovie if all you are doing is family stuff and supplementing your Photo biz. iMovie, (I think) handles the Flip without the need to transcode. Not sure though.

Michael Horton
-------------------
Thanks Michael...I'm testing the editing with flip & FCP right now. It's a bit slow on my computer (because my system is 5 years old and relatively slow for HD standards) but will work for now. I did test it with iMovie but couldn't figure out how to actually edit in i
movie! I guess I'm just used to Avid & FCP! But it does take MP4 files...maybe someday Final Cut will too!

Thanks
I don't know. I do know Quicktime Pro can. Google mp4 and iMovie.

Michael Horton
-------------------
if your looking for an inexpensive camera, do you need HD. i have a sony PD-170 im trying to get rid of that shoot exceptionally well for an SD camera. email me so as not to jack this thread
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics