Video to Film - Is it still being done? - Sony EX3 / PWM350 etc

Posted by mindsnare 
Video to Film - Is it still being done? - Sony EX3 / PWM350 etc
January 12, 2010 04:04PM
Aloha

I know this is not a FCP questions, but since many professional editors use this forum i figured i would ask. I am considering starting a major cinematography project that will span over a few years. I was considering shooting the project on 35mm film, but due to budget constraints it looks like it will be shoot on video. Perhaps a Sony EX3.

My question is are people still transferring video projects over to film for festival entries, or has that practice died? I assume that if you are entering or submitting to a film festival that it must be film stock supplied. I would love to hear some insight on this. The more preproduction I do into this project I am realizing that no matter what option I take, it will not be a cheap project. I already have a EX3, but to be honest, the video quality is not as sharp/crisp as I would like it to be. I guess the next stop would be a PWM350 or something along that range.

I may try and add a Letus adaptor, but I am still stuck on the EX3 only having a 1/2 sensor not a 2/3. Is the ex3 being used on any productions of any major shows as a primary camera? Any insight would be helpful. Also does anyone know of any good film makers forums. All i could find is forums where people had issues with windows movie maker, etc smiling smiley

Thanks in advance
Sean
Re: Video to Film - Is it still being done? - Sony EX3 / PWM350 etc
January 12, 2010 04:38PM
> I assume that if you are entering or submitting to a film festival that it must be film stock
>supplied.

It depends on the festival.

Here's a camera comparison chart.

[www.fletch.com]

www.strypesinpost.com
January 12, 2010 05:19PM
MOST festivals will accept video as the format,
but it's not a blanket rule, so you need to look into it.

maybe check out your ideal festivals and see what they require.
withoutabox.com (an on-line film fest entry site) could help in this research.

nick
January 12, 2010 06:35PM
It's hardly ever a requirement any more. Even the high end festivals will be typically ok with an HDCAM SR master you can make from the EX3. So I wouldn't worry about that. And if this is a multiyear project those requirements will be even less by the time you get around to screening.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
January 12, 2010 07:36PM
Yes, check with the film festival folks. I was part of the SYRCL Wild & Scenic Film Festival in Nevada City CA 2 yrs ago. They did take DVD's plus VHS tape, did not see any 35mm film.

Most festivals will give you the info as to what they will take-film,tape, DVD's, or know Blue-Ray.
It should be on their web sites.

Hope this helps.

Russ
January 12, 2010 07:46PM
Does anyone still actually deliver on VHS? Can't believe we ever thought that was an acceptable medium.

January 12, 2010 07:49PM
Sure. All the cool people in Perth do.

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 12, 2010 08:49PM
Granted don't know what type of project but what about investing in a Red? Might be overkill though, as almost all the big festivals will take HDCAM or SR.

In terms of EX3, the last feature I did that was wide in theaters had a what we thought was going to be a temp prologue of sorts that was shot on the EX3. The rest of the feature was shot F900. We were going to reshoot the scenes, but of course budget went away. We did a test and I was actually surprised it filmed out as well as it did. We also went and shot a bunch of stock type shots for an L.A. montage, and it all looked good. Granted it wasn't going to win any awards for cinematography anyways, but it was certainly passable for a wide release.

Current feature is documentary style all shot on an EX3, along with some Vixias. It certainly is a look we intended from the beginning, but I think it will also hold up fine to film out.
January 12, 2010 09:21PM
Tsk - he's here all week folks - try the veal! tongue sticking out smiley

January 12, 2010 10:11PM
Sean wrote:
I was considering shooting the project on 35mm film, but due to budget constraints it looks like it will be shoot on video.

Present technology will most likely be obsolete by the time you're ready for screening your movie. You should re-consider 35mm, especially with 35mm short ends going for 10 cents per foot. Processing is also 10 cents per foot. If you're movie is, let's say, 90 minutes, that's 8,100 ft of film. That's $1,620 for 90 minutes worth of 35mm film.

Of course, you're going to be shooting at least a 5:1 ratio; but even then that's only $8,100. As for telecine at Magic Film in Burbank, for example, is $125 per hour -- another $1,000.

Then you can edit your movie in FCP and output it to the latest technology. You will have a permanent value for your film that is going to grow with years, while other digital formats diminish.

If your movie was something you wanted to do fast and get it out there, and you were working with, say, a $10,000 budget, I can understand; the immediacy of digital is fantastic.

Go ahead contact me from [www.releasing.net] -- my email is at the top of the page. I will help you. Many feature films are shooting in 35mm film now through my help & free consultation.

I'm shooting my own next movie in 35mm.
January 12, 2010 10:53PM
So what is the closing date for entries and the screening dates for your film festival Vic? Seems like it's been going for a few years now. Who won it last year, and the year before that, and that? Wouldn't be to do with this would it?

"Submission fee is $50 non-refundable regardless if movie is accepted or not."

January 12, 2010 11:15PM
I would love to see what kind of transfers $125.00 an hour gets you.

If you research it, video to film is kind of going out, it is not nearly as hot as it was just a few short years ago. There are still places that do it but as others have said, most festivals can now screen video so there is rarely a pressing need to generate a 35mm print for film festivals these days.

The EX3 not being sharp enough for you? You need to do some research on camera setup. Are you sure you are getting razor sharp focus? I have never heard of anyone not thinking that the EX cameras aren't sharp enough. The EX1 and EX3 are generally regarded as too sharp by many, they have a very clean, digital and sharp look, I can't imaging wanting an even sharper look.

Dan
January 13, 2010 12:00AM
Dan wrote:
I would love to see what kind of transfers $125.00 an hour gets you.

They are SD but you can do a Cinema Tools reverse telecine and generate a negative cutting list, no? So then one can finish the movie in 35mm, print it and release it as a 35mm.

For digital releasing, such as DVD or streaming, appropriate masters can be made from a 35mm low-con print, for example.

Jude wrote:
So what is the closing date for entries and the screening dates for your film festival Vic?

Send me your feature, Jude, I'll be sure to give it the best picture award ... and I waive the $50 fee.LOL Thanks for reminding me; I clean forgot about my little film festival:-)
January 13, 2010 12:10AM
> You should re-consider 35mm, especially with 35mm short ends going for 10 cents per foot. Of
> course, you're going to be shooting at least a 5:1 ratio;

What are you talking about? He's talking about transferring, not shooting. Stop jacking threads with your own personal agenda.

www.derekmok.com
January 13, 2010 01:02AM
Sean wrote:
I am considering starting a major cinematography project that will span over a few years. I was considering shooting the project on 35mm film, but due to budget constraints it looks like it will be shot on video.

strypes posted the price list for camera rentals in this thread, digital cameras that may come closer to the quality of 35mm film. I looked at the rental prices and wondered how much the insurance will be in addition. The cost of 35mm short ends for the entire feature is less than the rental of these cameras.

I think in some cases 35mm film production costs are less than digital. However, I shoot digital myself when I'm shooting documentary style and want to experiment. There are other considerations also for shooting digital, I know.

There are filmmakers who aren't interested in a theatrical release, and in those cases many times it makes more sense to shoot digital. Certainly the look of digital has improved tremendously. I personally prefer to shoot alone, and digital is much easier for one person to shoot by oneself.
January 13, 2010 01:27AM
According to the wayback machine you forgot it and updated it every year since 2006 in fact, filmman. Pretty sure there are laws about fake competition.

January 13, 2010 04:47AM
>The cost of 35mm short ends for the entire feature is less than the rental of these cameras.

Can we get a better overall figure if we're going to talk about prices? I'm not seeing much of the total cost of working with film being worked out. Just portions of it.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 13, 2010 09:04AM
I would be very happy to give you all the details on film outside of this thread. You have my email address. BTW thanks for providing excellent technical info on digital cameras.
/
January 15, 2010 12:20AM
January 15, 2010 10:38AM
filmman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would be very happy to give you all the details
> on film outside of this thread.

Bit of a cop out but oh well. You're not likely to make too many new digital to film converts in this day and age.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
January 17, 2010 06:13PM
Hello.

Thanks for all the insightful tips. I would love to shoot on film, but I just dont have the budget to rent a film camera since I will need it for tons of locations. I am still looking into that option, but I am inclined to use my EX3 with a Letus 35 adaptor, or something in a higher price range. I guess by the time I will be done with the project the standards would have changed. Strypes - Thanks for posting that camera chart, very useful. I also signed up with the Withoutabox.com site - what a great resource - thanks.

I was starting to pull festivals down one by one making a list before that - I never would of found most of the ones that really apply to my film without this site. - Thanks again. And so start my trek to try and find a camera that can give me a great theatrical picture quality in video - and that is portable - good luck I say to myself ; )

Thanks again for all your help
January 18, 2010 11:11AM
One added option, if you plan to shoot on an EX3, is to bypass the crummy XDCAM EX compression and record directly to ProRes. You can do this either by lugging a macbook pro with an AJA IOHD or you can buy the AJA KIPro, which is a portable recording unit that stores and record directly to ProRes.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics