Studio 2 purchase

Posted by LEB 
LEB
Studio 2 purchase
January 17, 2010 09:54AM
Could someone guide me on the correct way to purchase an old version of final cut studio 2 (FC6).

I am on FC 5.newest version. I went to ebay and I see lots of old academic (new) and some full versions, and some upgrades,but the asking price for these is more than the cost of Studio 2 upgrade, (which I can't use). Some claim to be unregistered, and some are not.

What are my options for buying a used 6. can serial numbers be transferred?

Does it matter at this point since it is not supported any more?

Are release upgrades available still if I do purchase a used or new in box upgrade.

Is it worth it, at this point considering the above.

any info would be appreciated.

thanks
Re: Studio 2 purchase
January 17, 2010 10:23AM
If you have a legal copy of FCP 5 you can upgrade to FCP 7 for $299 through Apple. So what is the problem?

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
January 17, 2010 11:11AM
all you need is a legit copy on your copy. Need only be FCP and nothing else. Then go buy the upgrade. Do it from the lafcpug store. Cheaper.

Michael Horton
-------------------
LEB
January 17, 2010 12:00PM
Noah,

I have a power PC, I bought a copy of 7 and had to send it back. It only works on intel machines. Do they make a version that runs on power Pc.s I would rather have 7, but I searched every add and they all specified an intel machine. I didn't catch that when I purchased it a few days ago.

Michael,

I will go look in the store, thanks, didn't know you guys had it.

OUCH, and old studio 2 (6) upgrade is almost 500.00 bucks. and the new 7 is only 267 or so.

whats up with that.

The add at AMazon doesn't specify that it needs to be on an intel machine. I bought the last copy at amazon a couple weeks ago. It says on the box in small print that it requires an intel machine., and when I put the disk in, it said nope, needs an intel processor.

I have a legit copy, I have been on FCP since version 2. I quit editing for awhile and now need to start doing it on my own again.

I would gladly buy 7 if it works on my dual 2 power pc.

EDIT
scratch that when I clicked on the buy link there is only one vendor and they want almost 600.00 for the upgrade, No way.

So I am back to my original question. I noticed in the FAQ that "no one been able to get it to work on a power pc even though it says "universal". has that changed and is a 'secret" or am I stuck moving up to 6 only if I want.

Since the upgrade path is now shut off can I buy someones old studio 2 disks from ebay and not have a problem. Can the ownership be transferred, will I still be able to put them in and take advantage of version upgrades.

is there a problem of buying an academic version (even if its a full version) and using that to take advantage of the new features. I am using P2 now with a Redrock setup.

LEB
January 17, 2010 01:14PM
You do need an Intel for the new FCS. There is a hack out there that allows you to install but we cant legally tell you to do it or where it is. Sure, you can buy old disk as long as the person you buy it from transfers the license to you. Always a bit of a chance that you get screwed but such is the way of used.

Problem with academic is when you want to go to FCS 3 then you cant upgrade. So you essentially wasted your money.

Michael Horton
-------------------
LEB
January 17, 2010 01:36PM
understood smiling smiley

and google does have its uses.

enjoy my donation from purchase :0

LEB
January 17, 2010 01:58PM
Also understand that if you do use the hack we or apple cant help you if something goes wrong.

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 18, 2010 08:47AM
I'm a big fan of: if FCP is your hobby do whatever you want to make it work with whatever you've got. But don't complain when it breaks.

However- if you're editing for a career/living this is a really silly way to conduct your livelihood. A used Intel iMac can be had for a song- especially on a credit card and then you can upgrade to FCP 7 and be at the expected level of professionalism.

There's just too many other folks doing it the right way to keep hacking along. That is if it's your professional. If it's just a hobby and you don't care about that stuff- have at it.

-Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics