1 TB Drives

Posted by Sam11115 
1 TB Drives
January 28, 2010 11:32AM
I'm just starting a project where two different HD cameras will be used, the Sony EX-1 and the Canon Mark 2 7D. To handle my media, Is the Mybook Studio Edition 2 the way to go, or is there something out there that anyone has had more success with? I'll get two of these and use one to make a clone copy. Thanks for any input.
Re: 1 TB Drives
January 28, 2010 11:35AM
That is a VERY consumer level drive. Best for backing up personal data, not video editing. Caldigit, G-Technology, Maxx Digital Edit Vaults, even OTHER WORLD COMPUTING drives are better...FAR better than that one.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
January 28, 2010 11:37AM
Anything with the name "MyBook" is never the way to go. Those Western Digitals are possibly the worst drives I've used in the market, when it comes to video editing, worse than even the cheapo Maxtors and Lacies. Get a higher-quality product like a Promax or Seagate drive, not something you find in a Best Buy. OWC and CalDigit storage units have a good reputation in here as well.

www.derekmok.com
January 28, 2010 11:57AM
Sure...you can use the MyBook...if you want to pull your hair out when it does not mount for no apparent reason.

(EMPHASIS)
NEVER use a MyBook for anything related to audio / video. Never.
(/EMPHASIS)

I recommend the ultra affordable and dependable Caldigit VR RAID:

[www.caldigit.com]

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

January 28, 2010 12:03PM
With the Caldigit VR Rad- can I just get two of the 1 TB Spare Drive modules instead of the 2 TB model? Thanks!
January 28, 2010 12:47PM
You can buy 1TB, 1.5TB and 2Tb spare drive module for the CalDigit VR

[www.sharbor.com]
January 28, 2010 01:07PM
had a client buy (on advice from some muppet) a whole pile of 'mybook' drives... i took one look and told her to either bin them or sell em but under no conditions to use them... can't recommend enough that you keep as far away from those drives as possible
January 28, 2010 02:26PM
>With the Caldigit VR Rad- can I just get two of the 1 TB Spare Drive modules instead of the 2 TB model? Thanks!

What will you do with the drives but no module? At that point, why not just buy bare SATA drives?

Or so you already have the VR Module?

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
January 28, 2010 02:27PM
>can I just get two of the 1 TB Spare Drive modules instead of the 2 TB model?

Spare drive modules? As in getting just the modular drive trays?

www.strypesinpost.com
January 28, 2010 02:59PM
>As in getting just the modular drive trays?

I don't think you can buy just the trays. And doesn't Caldigit tweak the drives to run better in their units?
January 28, 2010 03:14PM
No - they don't sell "just the trays". The "modules" are a tray / drive combo that are tested and optimized to work with CalDigit units...and guaranteed, I might add. You are on your own if you crack those open and put in your own drives.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

January 28, 2010 05:05PM
Ahhh...I see. No, what Joe said. You need to get the actual full drive modules. Again, everything Joe said. There is a reason those drives kick arse.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
January 30, 2010 12:13PM
I like to bring my Western Digital MyBook for training classes and demos because it is perfectly silent.

anything else... forget it.

(and everything on it is securised on an other sibling volume)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics