DVX 100a footage freeze frames

Posted by rmilestone 
DVX 100a footage freeze frames
February 02, 2010 01:23PM
Footage recorded on DVX100 unknown recording settings.
Captured off another DVX100a at DV NTSC setup (29.97). Footage looked fine in monitor window, got "timecode breaks" warning, and looks ok in viewer and canvas. But when viewed on auxiliary Cinescreen it has notable freezes at inconsistent points for one or two frames (time code continues image repeats). Problem is worse out of viewer, better off timeline but from clips in both. Reducing timeline resolution does not improve or fix.
1) Is thisa result of the sampling of output to Cinescreen or the magnification?
2) why am I seeing freezes in 29.97, I thought that this output of 24p or pa looks "normal" even without removing extra frames?

I put the clips through reverse telecine in Cinema Tools to remove extra frames and this fixes some, but not all, of the freezes. Next tried "remove advanced pulldown" on different clip and it fixed some episodes but not all of the problem. Since doing reverse telecine or remove advanced pulldown doesnt fix, I am thinking this is not just a frame timebase problem
2) cause?
3) what else to do ?
MAC PRO FCS 2 coming off GRAID 1tb drive.
Re: DVX 100a footage freeze frames
February 02, 2010 01:28PM
> why am I seeing freezes in 29.97, I thought that this output of 24p or pa looks "normal" even
> without removing extra frames?

Uh...no. 24p and 24pA are different. 24p can be viewed at either 29.97fps or with pulldown removed at 23.98fps. 24pA is meant strictly for 23.98fps and will look strange if pulldown isn't removed.

Check the tape by advancing one frame at a time, see what exactly the pulldown pattern is. Without knowing whether it's 24p or 24pA, running the clips through Cinema Tools was premature -- you wouldn't know what the right setting is. And if you say some clips looked better after Cinema Tools but some didn't, then there's a chance you have a mix of 24p and 24pA in your footage.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics