Re-install advice?

Posted by ReidCAULFIELD 
Re-install advice?
January 31, 2010 05:07PM
It has become clear to me in the last few days that the time has come for a re-install of FCP & MAcOS on my MBP. I've been waiting until I'm clear of projects, and that time is this week. I have several choices and I'm looking for the sage wisdom of others on this board.

Right now I'm running FCP 6.0.6 on MacOS 10.5.8 (Leopard). The MBP is a late 2007 2.4GHz Core2Duo. My options are these:

1. Leopard OS (10.5.x, latest version) & FCP 6.0.6 - in other words, a simple re-install of what I'm running now;

2. Leopard OS (10.5.x, latest version) & FCP 7.x, in other words sticking with Leopard but moving to the new FCP; Are there any outstanding issues with FCP 7 that people have downgraded back to FCP v6.x to get away from?

3. Snow Leopard plus FCP 7.x, in other words everything upgraded to the latest versions. Is there still little reason to upgrade to Snow Leopard as far as FCP is concerned? I know that if I do, I'll lose mu Duel Adapter compatibility (P2 offload) & I'd rather not have that happen, but if the benefits of the latest MacOS outweigh the negatives where FCP is concerned, I'd happily entertain it.

Thanks so much!

Reid C
Re: Re-install advice?
January 31, 2010 06:49PM
If you need the duel adapter, stick to Leopard. There's not much benefits in upgrading to Leopard for now. The changes are largely for speed (snow leopard's faster and lighter because it no longer supports PPCs) and for developers (eg. Grand Central, OpenCL), etc.

www.strypesinpost.com
February 02, 2010 01:45AM
what's the word on FCP v7 on Leopard? ANy issues?
February 02, 2010 08:27AM
Leopard or Snow Leopard? Final Cut Studio 3 apps all run like a dream in Leopard 10.5.8, QuickTime Player 7.6.4, on a MacPro 2009 8-core.

Haven't tried FCS3 under Snow Leopard 10.6.2 yet. No real reason to, none are 64-bit ready; FCP doesn't yet know what to do with all that RAM. Compressor seems to know about the multiprocessors, at least.

Hell, even Adobe is behind on real 64-bit. After Effects CS5 won't be here till spring.

This is the year of 64-bit transformation. Unless Apple chooses to waste too much time on the iPad and its emerging big brothers. Way too much chrome (bezel) on those slabs. Wasted space. Chrome go home.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Invoke Big Timecode window with Control-T!

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
February 02, 2010 07:05PM
I'm on 10.6.2 (snow) running FCP 7.0.1. and it's all rosy here. Don't like Quicktime X though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics