Panasonic AG-DVX100A

Posted by efcowin 
Panasonic AG-DVX100A
July 06, 2006 09:34PM
I am renting the Panasonic AG-DVX100A for a project this weekend. I thought I was "set" but then I read the article that suggested I blacken the tapes. What settings should I use - 29.97? or 23.98?
When I tried to play the test tape in my deck it wouldn't play.
Thaks!
Eileen
Re: Panasonic AG-DVX100A
July 06, 2006 10:28PM
You don't need to black tapes to shoot with this -- just get a good quality tape (The Panasonic Master Series DV -- are very good to make life easier in editing - set your time code to RUNTIME -- not time of day -- will avoid time code breaks and shifts and problems bringing into to FCP

as for settings --

Are you shooting something that you want to look more "film like" then choose 24 frame progressive (23.98) There are two 24frame P modes...and there are others on the board who understand the differences and how they relate to editing in Final Cut - (pull down versus no need for pulldown)

If you are shooting something that's more documentary, news or just video style -- chose 29.97 (30 FPS interlaced) -- Read the manuals and look on line (DVXUSER.COM is a good resource)

This camera can look terrific with many different settings but you need to do some tests and studying before you rush out to shoot with it.

Andy
July 06, 2006 10:51PM
You don't need to black tapes if you are shooting...period. That is a myth that must be squashed. You black tapes for EDITING...outputting. Not for shooting.
July 06, 2006 11:18PM
I did a test last week in 24p..that's why I am renting the camera but then I had trouble playing it on my deck.

I don't usually blacken tapes but this is what I
found on Ken Stone's website about the Panasonic..shooting in 24p

...follow these recommendations:

"Black and stripe each tape with timecode using Edit to Tape in Final Cut Pro
Turn the Record Run and Regen features on in the AG-DVX100
While shooting, after calling "cut," let the tape run a few seconds to
provide a buffer
When reviewing footage during a shoot, start recording again in the
buffer you've created (this will allow the pulldown pattern to start on a 0 or 5 frame again) "

But it doesn't say what settings you should use when you blacken the tapes to use with 24P setting.
Anyone else have any thoughts about this?
July 07, 2006 12:38AM
You know what blacking a tape prevents? Not timecode breaks, for that is explained very well by Ken...record longer then record again in that buffer. What it prevents is the TC from starting again at 00:00:00...but that is prevented in EXACTLY the same way..recording longer and after review, start recording in the buffer.

So blacking a tape is essentially useless. All you have to do is record extra. Unless you are lazy. Then it will prevent the 00;00;00...but not the timecode break.

And it makes the incidences of dropouts more likely...so Ken Stone needs to change that article.

Bad Advice.
July 07, 2006 09:19AM
So why should I have a problem playing the tape on the deck. Does anyone have experience with shooting in 24p?
July 07, 2006 11:52AM
On the dvx, 24p is essentially 30fps converted to 24p motion in the camera or to actual 24fps with the advanced frame removal(24pa on the dvx). Blackening tapes won't affect how you record. Although i must say if your shooting a non-controlled shoot, i recomend blackening tapes. I always keep some around...

If you want the film look but want to edit everything normally with dv setting, shoot on 24p(scene file 5) but if you want to edit in a 24fps timeline, shoot in 24pA(scene file 6) and capture with the frame removal. Note you still capture at your normal frame rate, but the frame removal brings your clip in as a 24fps clip.

If you are having deck problems, capture from the camera. Afterall, it is a rental...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics