Snow Leopard Spells TROUBLE for SxS Users with Express 34

Posted by RickYoung 
Snow Leopard Spells TROUBLE for SxS Users with Express 34
August 29, 2009 05:13PM
Hi Everyone

Seems Snow Leopard isn't playing ball when working with SxS cards in the Express 34 slot on MacBooks Pro's.

I have tested 2 MacBook Pro's - a 17 inch Unibody and a 15 inch Unibody and neither machine will recognise the SxS card.

Furthermore, I can install the XDCAM Transfer software, no problem, however, cannot install the SxS Device Driver. I get an error message when trying. So this seems to be the problem.

Both of these machines work fine with SxS cards working with Leopard.

This was first reported to me by a friend and colleague, Matt Davis. He also reported that Snow Leopard works fine with SDHC cards using either the KxS or MxR solution. However, SxS does not work.

Read Matt's post:

[mattdavis.wordpress.com]

Any reports of success or failure with Snow Leopard please report. And if you rely on SxS and are thinking of upgrading maybe wait to see what comes of this.

Rick

---------------------
Rick Young
Editor - MacVideo
[www.macvideo.tv]
Re: Snow Leopard Spells TROUBLE for SxS Users with Express 34
August 29, 2009 06:20PM
Same Kernal Panic here with my 17" MBP (2.33 C2Duo). I was able to read the SxS on my desktop with the Sony SxS card reader but that doesn't help me with the shoots I have coming up next week. Sucks to be on the "bleeding edge", huh?

Oops, forgot to add, this is using FCS, not the latest FCS2 or FCS3 or whatever the heck we are calling it.

FCP 7.0.3, PPro CS5.5, MPro Octo 2.8, 16 gigs RAM, Matrox MXO2, Sony EX1
August 29, 2009 06:55PM
This quote from a Sony dealer was posted on the CML yesterday.

"Unfortunately because of the significant changes to the OS current XDCAM Software versions WILL NOT RUN under SNOW LEOPARD.
In fact the device may hang once the SxS card is inserted to begin a Transfer."

"Since this is a very recent release from Apple that involves significant change to the Mac OS it may take several months, perhaps winter or spring for full Snow Leopard support from Sony. The exact schedule is still TBD."

This was kindly posted by George Hupka, DP and listmum on the CML
August 29, 2009 10:18PM
Same here, Snow Kitty is not digging my Firmtek 2SM2-E ExpressCard
August 29, 2009 10:44PM
That's cheese from Sony though- Snow Leopard is not a 'very recent release from Apple.' Developers have had access to beta builds for many months now. It's obvious they didn't bother to start work on their drivers in time.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
August 29, 2009 11:30PM
This is the best part. I'm seeing this in many forums.
perhaps winter or spring for full Snow Leopard support from Sony. The exact schedule is still TBD."

SxS in Express slot will NOT work with Snow Leopard. Reports of Kernal Panics. It looks like Sony isn't showing much concern if they can say spring and schedule is still to be decided. BTW the MxR, MxM SDHC adaptors work fine from what I hear.
August 30, 2009 12:06AM
In my conversation with Sony support they advised me that unfortunately
Snow Leopard is not currently supported by the current versions of XDCAM
related software's from Sony.

Since this is a very recent release from Apple that involves significant
change to the Mac OS it may take several months, perhaps winter or
spring for full Snow Leopard support from Sony. The exact schedule is
still TBD.

It is therefore recommended to continue using the most recent release of
Leopard to maintain smooth operation of the XDCAM software within the
Mac environment.

For your reference the latest Sony software release versions are as
below:

As of August 26th 2009

PDW-U1 v 2.420

PDW-U1 Utility for PC or Mac v 2.21

FAM Driver 2.20 comes with the PDZ-1 software or XDT for Mac

PDZ-1 v 2.60

XDCAM Viewer 2.30 PC only separate from PDZ-1

XDCAM TRANSFER for FCP v 2.10.0

EX Browser 2.5.1

Thanks for your continued support of XDCAM!

I post this on many forums for peoples to avoid updating too soon and get in trouble.
I get this info from Sony Support but i think Sony will do it faster than that .... i hope.

PRODUCTION D. GOYETTE
TOURNAGE / MONTAGE VIDÉO CORPORATIF
DISTRIBUTION DVD / BLU-RAY / WEB
[www.productiondgoyette.com]
August 31, 2009 12:01AM
I wonder if this will affect the new JVC cameras based on XD Cam but wrapped in QT?

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
August 31, 2009 12:18AM
As I said above, SDHC works fine. The problem is SxS. Of course if you're recording with the SxS adaptor on JVC you'll have the problem using those cards.
August 31, 2009 06:41PM
This is such bulls**t. It's not like they didn't know this was coming! How would they explain away the fact that there are smaller companies who were right there day and date with the release of the OS? It also isn't like they are some tiny company who doesn't have the resources to commit to an update such as this. I could also give them some "wiggle room" if they said that the release was "imminent", but "....winter or spring..."? Come on.

FCP 7.0.3, PPro CS5.5, MPro Octo 2.8, 16 gigs RAM, Matrox MXO2, Sony EX1
August 31, 2009 07:01PM
Agreed!

XDCAM Transfer 2.10 is also broke.
One gets:
Error
The clip thumbnail could not be saved to the cache as it was an unrecognised format.
With the choice of
Cancel All Tasks or OK
Cancel all tasks renders all files ghosted
OK must be selected for EACH FILE and it will appear in XDCAM Transfer without thumbnail. The file will play and will re-wrap to MOV.

Keep in mind that anyone buying a NEW MAC which have Snow Leopard installed is going to have real problems since they won't have Leopard to go back to.

I've also found that the Sony Final Cut Pro Log & Transfer plugin still seems to work so I'll ditch XDCAM Transfer for it.

So far Clip Browser seems to work.
November 28, 2009 07:50AM
Well I was just about to buy a new MAC which apparantly has Snow Leopard installed with [pewarriors.com] the Size Genetics. Is it worth staying clear or are the problems fixed now?
Cheers.

Jared
November 28, 2009 08:12AM
SxS driver 1.0.4
ClipBrowser 2.6
Sony XDCAM Transfer 2.11

Are all updates that work with Snow Leopard. All the issues seem fixed for SxS.
February 21, 2010 11:00AM
No, they don't. I use:

Clipbrowser Version 2.06.00 (155.188)
XDCAM Transfer Version 2.11.0
SxS Driver Version 1.0.45050
MacBookPro (unibody/black keys)
Snow Leopard 10.6.2

When the driver is installed Snow Leopard crashes (Epic Panic) when shutting down. After de-installation of the driver Snow Leopard shuts down properly

Work around I use till SONY finally solves this bug (hopefully soon as they have had time enough by now): install driver - copy cards to system - de-install driver before shutting down.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics