using AE in FCP Studio

Posted by filmman 
using AE in FCP Studio
March 04, 2010 07:03PM
I'm seriously considering acquiring & using After Effects with my FCP 5.04 to enhance & compliment the filters and plugins of FCP. Can you advise me regarding what are the major benefits of adding the capabilities of A & E to FCP Studio 5.04? Thanks --vic
Re: using AE in FCP Studio
March 04, 2010 09:27PM
You can't use AE in FCS to enhance and compliment filters and plug ins of FCP. It is an Adobe Software application and cannot be used within FCS. For more info on AE and it's capabilities go here:

[forums.adobe.com]

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

March 04, 2010 11:19PM
Think of it like this. FCP is for cutting video and very basic graphics. It color corrects but not wonderfully. Some people get a ton of plugs and then you can do more interesting stuff but i wouldn't recommend it.

However, if you got AE in the Adobe Production Premium Suite you could then use AE with fcp.

Here is how i use AE with FCP (in Final Cut Studio2).

1 capture and CUT ONLY in FCP
2. then i export an XML file to desktop (or where ever you like)
3. open the XML in Premier Pro
4. send the Premier timeline to AE and do the tricks and graphics (you could CC it right here)
5. render and there i have my fcp cut with AE magic tricks

Often between step 1 and 2 i send to Color for CC, however sometimes you need to CC the Graphics along with the footage. In this case I do the XML into premier, then to AE, then do the graphics and before i render, i remove the footage and export the graphics with alpha to be added to my fcp TL for CC in Color.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
March 05, 2010 04:24AM
grafixjoe wrote: You can't use AE in FCS to enhance and compliment filters and plug ins of FCP. It is an Adobe Software application and cannot be used within FCS. For more info on AE and it's capabilities go here: [forums.adobe.com
]
thanks for the reference to Adobe Forums. I'm going to bookmark the link for future reference.

J. Corbett wrote: Think of it like this. FCP is for cutting video and very basic graphics. It color corrects but not wonderfully. Some people get a ton of plugs and then you can do more interesting stuff but i wouldn't recommend it.
So you mean these are FCP plugins. and you'd rather use AE instead?

However, if you got AE in the Adobe Production Premium Suite you could then use AE with fcp. Here is how i use AE with FCP (in Final Cut Studio2).
So you would use Adobe Premiere only to facilitate the importing of the FCP movie files and then to be able to send them to AE? That's a lot of money for a software that is only to be used to open up a project from FCP?!

1 capture and CUT ONLY in FCP 2. then i export an XML file to desktop (or where ever you like) 3. open the XML in Premier Pro 4. send the Premier timeline to AE and do the tricks and graphics (you could CC it right here) 5. render and there i have my fcp cut with AE magic tricks
So the way to have AE graphics and effects in a FCP project is by using Adobe Premiere as a transporter into the world of AE. Did I understand this correctly? If it's true it would be an amazing workflow!

However, I really appreciate the info, because there are so many strange phenomena when it comes to utilizing digital in film production. I mean there is Avatar and now Alice in Wonderland. I saw the Larry King documentary on James Cameron and Avator; the technology is amazing.
March 05, 2010 05:01AM
Filmman it really depends WHAT you want to be doing - rather than what software you want to be using. That would make it rather easier to answer your question.
March 05, 2010 05:19AM
And skip the Premier step (and the need to buy Premier) by using this

[www.popcornisland.com]

Great for simple timelines, dumping green screen selects etc.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
March 05, 2010 09:23AM
Filmman:

If you have the time to devote to learn AE, it is probably the most powerful single application for video/film outside of FCS and AVID. I personally don't know AE very well but I was producer on an animated series and had six AE artists working for me for two years and I shared my office with an AE guru who writes a lot of the manuals and training for Adobe. So while I don't know how to use AE myself very well, I know its workflow and capabilities pretty well. Amazing application.

That said, most people who are really good with AE are naturally good artists and most have a fine arts BG. As I have learned myself, it is one thing to learn the application, it is another thing to be able to generate amazing work with it. Kind of like knowing Photoshop inside out doesn't make a photographer, you either have that eye and those skills, or you don't.

For those of us who are graphically challenged editors, I consider Motion to be "AE for Dummies." Motion is so simple to learn and use in comparison to AE but its capabilities are much less in most aspects, better in a couple.

Most of my friends who are great in AE told me that it took them between a year to two years to get up to speed with AE. Not saying that applies to everyone, I am sure some can learn it pretty well in a couple of months, especially if you read books, do on-line training and take a workshop. But these have always been the two things holding me back from tackling AE, I don't have a fine arts BG and am terrible at graphic design and I have never been able to find the time to devote to really learning the application. Motion I picked up on in a couple of days.

Good luck and let us know how your work progresses once you buy it.

Dan
March 05, 2010 11:16AM
After Effects is an incredible tool and an excellent compliment to Final Cut Pro.

--
Wes Plate
Automatic Duck, Inc.
[www.automaticduck.com]
March 05, 2010 12:41PM
- If you are starting on this today,
- if it is for personal work

go with Motion, more complete and powerful every version (and it's only the 4th !)

of course AE is still the leader in the industry

I tend to say :

AE = Blackberry / Motion = iPhone
March 05, 2010 01:34PM
Andrew Kines wrote: And skip the Premier step (and the need to buy Premier) by using this [www.popcornisland.com
]
This will be a must have program for me to buy. I'm thinking it will be possible for me to work in AE on my G5 dual processor computer and go back and forth between FCP 5.04 and AE. Is this correct? I don't need an Intel G5?

Dan Brockett wrote: If you have the time to devote to learn AE, it is probably the most powerful single application for video/film outside of FCS and AVID.
Thank you for taking the time to explain what's involved in learning AE as compared to Motion.

Thank you, wplate and Francois for your comments. I'll have to decide which is more suitable for me at this point in my career.

Josh B wrote: Filmman it really depends WHAT you want to be doing - rather than what software you want to be using. That would make it rather easier to answer your question.
Thank you for bringing this up. I don't want to fancy graphics or animation like Avatar or Alice in Wonderland. I want to do effective transitions, supers and bi-packs to enhance the story-telling process. I like painterly effects and surrealistic shots. I want to take an ordinary shot and turn it into a surrealistic one, magical or simply beautiful to look at.

As far as titles, I prefer simple white on black titles that are legible at the beginning of a movie and a standard scroll at the end. I can do these just fine in FCP Boris 3D already, so this is not something I want to do in AE.

Thank you all for responding to my question.
March 05, 2010 01:56PM
AE = Blackberry / Motion = iPhone
Francois

WHAT????? hot smiley

I use to use motion for everything graphic from from its 1st version until now. I still use it for quickies or for behavioral reasons. It does a lot of nice stuff and you can get very complicated 3d animations.

I have had AE for about 2 yrs and i can tell tell you with zeal motion is not on the level that AE is. Its really not within 15% or even 25% IMHO. Better keyframe workflow, better control on effects, much better compositing tool set, better handle on obj files, and some.

I say you start out in motion and graduate to AE.

AE- iPhone / Motion - early 08 HTC PDA

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
March 05, 2010 01:59PM
Maybe 2 more versions and BAM........ equality

""""
March 05, 2010 07:31PM
Assuming you have FCS, you already have Motion so I would play with it and see how you like it. Then you can always make the move to AE as soon as you are ready. It sounds like based upon what you want to accomplish, much, if not all of it can be accomplished in Motion. Motion was designed for L3s, opens and closes. AE can do all of that easily but AE has more plug-ins, effects, etc. available than Motion.

Dan
March 06, 2010 05:10AM
If Vic is talking about a feature length show, I'm not sure if he wants to port the whole thing over to AE. A thousand cuts in a feature would mean a thousand layers in AE. It's a scrolling nightmare.

Use AE for scenes that require special effects/compositing. Then use Color to colour.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 06, 2010 11:41AM
Dan Brockett wrote: Assuming you have FCS, you already have Motion so I would play with it and see how you like it.
I tried to learn motion a bunch of times but can't do it. I can use basic Motion inside of FCP 5.04, but as far as sending something to Motion and getting it back in one piece, I've not been able to do.

I asked a question on August 30th of 2009 in the Motion forum here and no one responded. I needed a star effect that I thought someone could help me with. What I needed was a magical "Morning Star" effect. Suddenly the lead actress of my movie THE RED QUEEN sees Venus at dawn and she remarks, "That's the Morning Star!" She actually saw this; it was unrehearsed. It was a fantastic experience and it became the pivotal point in my feature film THE RED QUEEN.

I desperately needed a beautiful vision of the star. Now, I actually couldn't see Venus like Liv could, because my eyesight is extremely poor. And I didn't have the time to fool around with the shutter speed of my Sony Z1 to see if I could pull that star image in.

Anyway, here is what I managed to do in Motion, after many questions in the FCP Cafe here (on other threads:-) I pulled the star effect and the halo effect from Motion into my FCP browser and from there I was able to drag it to my FCP timeline and manipulate it. I was able to create the star in an alpha channel and drop it on the shot of the horizon.

It was a small effect but I got by. Of course, it's not at all what I imagined. I wanted something on the scale of Avatar, and you know for a couple of seconds it shouldn't have been impossible to create a grand shot of Venus on the horizon for heavens sake.LOL

Okay, so that's one specific effect I might be able to do in AE. Here is another one.

In another feature film I have a spaceship crashing to earth. I have the miniature shot already. Lot's of views of it. This is in 35mm which I will telecine to uncompressed 10-bit (because I'm working with FCP 5.04 and don't have Prores).

What I need to add to the shot of the miniature is smoke and motion as the miniature spaceship crashes and goes screeching across a rough landscape. I want fires and smoke all around, etc. A woman emerges from the spaceship before it explodes. I have this scene as well together with the pyro effect. Again the shot needs to be enhanced. So I figure I will need AE again in being able to do this.

Of course, here again, Dan, I don't know if I'll be able to learn AE well enough to be able to do these kinds of shots. These are only two shots that I could use the knowledge of using AE. From what I've read on this forum, AE is one of the best tools to do this. There is Video Pilot, but that works in an Intel Mac and AE as well. So I figure if I'm going to be able to complete my movies I have to learn AE.

I have a third feature film already shot that needs extensive AE manipulation. It's a space movie with a lot of guns and fire shots, spaceships battling each other, etc. I have to learn AE.

strypes wrote: If Vic is talking about a feature length show, I'm not sure if he wants to port the whole thing over to AE. A thousand cuts in a feature would mean a thousand layers in AE. It's a scrolling nightmare. Use AE for scenes that require special effects/compositing. Then use Color to colour.
This suggests I have to get an Intel Mac, FCP 7 and AE as well. I guess, I have to start praying again. LOL-where am I going to get the money?

Thanks for responding everybody :-)
March 06, 2010 12:25PM
Ugh. You're fixating on tools again, Vic. Stop doing that.

Digital compositing is an evolution of optical compositing, nothing more. The goal is to combine two images in such a way that it looks like a single photographic plate. That's it; it's really that simple. We can break this down into two parts: obtaining those two images (shooting them as plates, shooting them as elements, creating matte paintings of them, synthesizing them entirely using a computer model or a simulation, getting your kid nephew to draw them with crayons on construction paper, whatever), and combining those two images together once we have them. These are separate parts of the process. They inform each other, but they're not the same.

You're coming at this like After Effects (or whatever) just does these things. That's not right at all. That's like saying that your whisk makes scrambled eggs for you. It doesn't. You make scrambled eggs, and the whisk is a tool that some people like to use. Others use a fork. Some use a blender. They choose the tool that works best for their specific situation, because they understand what they're trying to do.

Maybe you don't need to understand organic chemistry and biology in order to make up a batch of scrambled eggs on a Saturday morning ? but I promise you, if you were making scrambled eggs for the very first time in all of human history, if you were a scrambled-egg pioneer, you'd either start by breaking it down to the underlying science, or locking yourself in your kitchen for a hell of a lot of trial and error. Hint: Pretend eggs cost a half a million bucks apiece, and they take six months to cook. Trial and error doesn't sound so appealing any more, huh?

This seems to happen over and over again with you, Vic. No disrespect intended, but I have the impression that often you'll ask a very specific question, but a little prodding reveals that you're trying to do this massive complex thing, and you've got all the steps out of order, and you're frustrated because you can't find the "make Venus" button or whatever. Sometimes it seems like you want a painted house, so you start by carefully applying two coats of white exterior latex to each individual two-by-four before you nail any of them together.

It's great that you're ambitious. Ambition is awesome. But if you want to avoid frustration, you really need to temper it with a little discipline. Okay, I need to composite Venus into a shot. What should that look like? Maybe I should take my stills camera out with a really long lens and shoot Venus near the horizon just before sunrise, for reference. Or maybe that could be more than just reference; if I shot at a really high ISO, maybe I could get a grain-free still that I could use as my element for that shot. But I'll need a lot more than six stops of dynamic range to make that work; maybe I should google exposure bracketing and HDR photography so I can set up a tripod and shoot multiple exposures to get 13 stops? That way I can shoot Venus ? or any bright star, really; it's not like anybody's gonna get out an astrolabe ? on a pure black sky with high dynamic range and just do a simple additive composite to put it in my shot. And what if I used fractal noise in a matte to make it flicker? By god, that might just work!

Once you get to the point where you can follow the basics of that line of thinking, congratulations. You're a visual effects supervisor.

But you have to understand the basics, man. You need to stop thinking about computers and programs and learn the core principles. What's an element? What does it mean to additively composite two things? What's dynamic range, and why is it important? How does ISO affect the amount of grain you're going to get when you shoot an element? Why should you go out right now and put a piece of gaffer tape over the button on your camera that lets you change the shutter angle?

Gotta walk before you can run, Vic. Stop looking to technology as if there's some magical secret that editors, compositors and other effects artists know and that they won't tell you. It ain't so.

"I don't know if I'll be able to learn AE well enough to be able to do these kinds of shots," you said. That right there is your problem. Do you know what "learning After Effects" means? It means you know where the buttons are. It means sitting down and going, "Okay, I've already planned how I'm going to solve this shot, I've got my elements, and I know what I want to do. Where's the 'over' button? Where's the 'add' button?" Somebody who "knows After Effects" is able to sit down and carry out their plan without having to refer to the manual, because they remember how to perform all the basic operations they need. What you need to do is to learn what those basic operations are ? simple stuff, simple! ? and start thinking of shots in terms of those basic operations. Then you can sit down at After Effects and go, "Okay, first step is to load my elements, which I have prepared in advance. Where's the 'load' button? Now I need to draw a matte; which is the matte-drawing tool?" The manual is very good at answering those kinds of questions, because it's written with the assumption that you already know what you want to do, and you just need to be told how this particular program does that specific thing.

Have some discipline, man. Take that Venus shot you want to do and shut out everything else in your life, and just focus on that one shot. Break it down to the most basic level, as if it were a recipe for a particularly complicated and esoteric batch of scrambled eggs. Understand just exactly what it is you want to do, then come up with a plan ? a series of steps. Then break each of those steps down, and figure them out one by one. Make your failures many and small, so you can make mistakes and correct them and learn.

"Clearly I need to buy After Effects so I can do this shot" is just totally wrong-headed. What if you do? What if you go out right now, this morning, and plop down your credit card? What then? You'll be right back where you started, with absolutely no plan, but you'll be sixteen hundred bucks poorer. That's not how I'd choose to spend my Saturday, but maybe that's just me.

March 06, 2010 12:37PM
NOT good in motion then i might say wait before you try AE. Motions learning curl is lower than AE.

Motion works on logic.

i.e.
hey i want to make a star streak of the screen. so THROW it off
hey i want to make a spiral. make a circle put something on the path, animate and add gravity or attraction

If you can describe it then just take your descriptor words and look for them or something close in the behaviors menu. This will get you started on animating graphics.

ROUNDTRIP easy as drinking water between fcp and motion.

right click the clip you want to place the graphics on and send to motion. Motion opens automatically and you will see your clip (even in fcp5.1)>> create your graphics SAVE >> apple tab back to fcp and whoop there it is.
Round trip was relatively easy from FCS till now (FCS3).

Dont take this the wrong way but i dont think you have spent enough time trying Motion especially if you can not roundtrip. My 9yo son uses motion on round trip.

ITS SO EASY.

""""
March 06, 2010 01:19PM
Jeff Harrell wrote: You're coming at this like After Effects just does these things. That's not right at all.
Well, there are all these plugins that just do these things. And AE apparently has many such things. Things! There are too many things to learn.LOL

I'm humbled and appreciative of your analysis of how not to approach digital effects.

Digital compositing is an evolution of optical compositing, nothing more. The goal is to combine two images in such a way that it looks like a single photographic plate. That's it; it's really that simple.
I forget that sometimes. This digital age has me overwhelmed sometimes; but you know where I'm coming from, so your advice is very valuable.

Your posts are phenomenal: crystal clear analysis of the technical and practical approaches for the creative process.

J. Corbett wrote: hey i want to make a star streak off the screen. so THROW it off hey i want to make a spiral. make a circle put something on the path, animate and add gravity or attraction If you can describe it then just take your descriptor words and look for them or something close in the behaviors menu. This will get you started on animating graphics.
Excellent advice. Thanks, J. I'll keep that in mind. I'm going to first learn Motion a little bit more and then I'll buy AE later.

Thanks for the help everyone!
March 08, 2010 03:15AM
@J. (Corbett)

when I said: AE = Blackberry / Motion = iPhone I was more referring to the industry wide position of AE opposed to "intuitivity" and ease of use of Motion.
March 08, 2010 11:59AM
ahhh Francois,
I see..... that does make since. I was thinking of it in functionality and the apps being the tools.
more tools on the iphone so i equated it to AE as it has more tools than motion.

but as an ease of use comparison that is a good analogy you made. I should have took that into consideration, knowing that you are not a novice.

my apologies.

""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics