imovie can capture but not FCP

Posted by celletson 
imovie can capture but not FCP
March 10, 2010 11:40AM
Hi guys
I am using a new Mac book Pro and an old Canon XM2 mini dv. Log and Capture in new FCP Studio can detect the camera - it is plugged into a Lacie 500g external drive via fw 400 and then from there to MBP by fw800.
However, FCP will not view the video in LOG AND CAPTURE although the JKL keys work. imovie picks it up and imports fine from the same settings. Any clues would be great.
Thanks
Chandos
Re: imovie can capture but not FCP
March 10, 2010 11:45AM
Never, ever chain a camera through a drive into a computer. Hook the camera directly to the FireWire port of the computer.

www.derekmok.com
March 10, 2010 01:13PM
Daisychaining often works with Sony or Panasonic cameras, but never with Canon cameras because of the way the FireWire protocol has been implemented.

Just to add, Canon cameras also seldom work properly when there is more than one device connected to the FireWire bus, so even putting the camera on another port will not help.
March 10, 2010 03:58PM
Well, folks I daisy chain a Canon HV30, via firewire, through a 1T iOmega external HD.

Also, F.C.P.6.0.6 is also loaded onto the iOmega HD. It works fine. No problems, repeat no problems.

I had to do this, because when I had F.C.P 6.0.6 on my iMac, I had problems with the
software. Even taking it to the Apple Store, in Sacramento, their FCP person could not
figure out the cause of the problem. Used FCP remover. Installed it on my MacBookPro
no problem. Got the 1T iOmega HD and installed it on their and no problems, running the
fire wire through the drive. It logs & captures fine. To this day the guys at the Apple store,
are still stumped. I've been doing this for over a year.

I run 10.5.8 on my core 2 duo 2.8 Ghz, with 4 gigs mem. iMac.

Also 10.5.8 is loaded on the iOmega HD.

Russ Andris
March 10, 2010 04:04PM
> I daisy chain a Canon HV30, via firewire, through a 1T iOmega external HD.
> It works fine. No problems, repeat no problems

It's not that the arrangement won't work, necessarily. It's that it's very, very bad for the drive, and bad for the entire chain. It greatly increases chances of failure for the drive, frying the port on the camera, corrupting drive directories, FCP operating problems, media going offline...the list goes on and on.

The correct way to capture on a laptop is to capture to an internal drive (with the camera connected directly to the computer), then copy to the external drive.

One could possibly daisy-chain 15 FireWire drives for months with no problems. All it takes is one bad day for the whole house of cards to collapse. Just because problems haven't yet happened doesn't mean they never will.

www.derekmok.com
March 10, 2010 04:06PM
It's kind of like saying "Well, I ride a motorcycle without a helmet all the time, and I've never had a problem."

March 10, 2010 05:01PM
Thanks all I appreciate it. i am on location away from home and the new mac book pros don't have fw 400 sockets only 800 - hence my choice of external drive. But I take your points.
Chandos
March 10, 2010 05:10PM
That's an HDV camera that uses a different protocol from DV. The OP is using a DV camera. Different format, different game.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics