Burning DVDs with External Burner, not iDVD

Posted by Jerry Fink 
Burning DVDs with External Burner, not iDVD
July 09, 2006 05:33AM

I'm on a 1GHz G4 eMac, 512 MB SDRAM, using FCP 4.5. I do use Compressor for MPEG-1 compressions, but I don't have iDVD, just Toast 6 and an external DVD burner.

Can someone please tell me how to properly compress a DVD and then burn it? Thanks to all.
Re: Burning DVDs with External Burner, not iDVD
July 09, 2006 06:20AM
If you mean a DVD for movies, then you need to use MPEG-2 encoding. That is the only thing that will play on a set top DVD player. I am led to believe that Toast 7 has some magic encode capabilities, but have never used them. iDVD or DVD Studio Pro can build DVD's with proper menus.
July 09, 2006 11:21AM
Use Compressor to encode the video to Mpeg-2 (not mpeg-1). Then in Toast select "DVD-Video" from the "Video" tab. Drag in your Mpeg-2 video file and corresponding aiff audio file. There may be an option in Toast (if you have Toast Titanium) to create a menu for the DVD, but I have never used that and have no idea if it is any good. For a straight dvd of your video that will simply play when inserted in a dvd player, make sure the "Auto-play items" box is checked.

Hope that helps

pete
July 09, 2006 03:50PM
Pete,

Thanks for the great advice. But I've got lots of choices in the MPEG-2 compressor - which one is best for let's say an hour-long project? A ten-minute project?
July 09, 2006 06:45PM
The "Mpeg-2 60min High Quality" preset setting will work well for anything 60 minutes or less. For more than an hour of video, use the "90 min" or "120min" setting, accodingly.

pete
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics