Will the RGBY effect editing or CC?

Posted by J.Corbett 
Will the RGBY effect editing or CC?
March 26, 2010 08:40PM
I have been watching these Sharp RGBY commercials with Mr. Sulu's energetic delivery. I have am aware of YUV, RGB, RGBA but this RGBY had me wondering if it would make a difference, especially if it catches on.

To me RGBY sounds like the video equivalent of CMYK.... KINDA.

I dont think it will effect anything as of now but maybe soon if the TV proves to be higher chroma definition.

What does the folks on lafcpug think?

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: Will the RGBY effect editing or CC?
March 26, 2010 11:58PM
This is their example. I find this a bit odd since whats in the pic is yellow and green. To me adding yellow would automatically effect these colors.

the average home lcd is 8bit not 10+bit, and as far as i know we have not reached full 10+bit lcds as a norm. I am just guessing that the Y would only effect the green and yellow tones in most 8bit screens. That seems like the only benefits. I'm probably wrong of course but.....

If we edit & CC in rgb and playback on a 8bit lcd we get the norm. It seems to me that only when the completed edit plays on the RGBY screen that this SAME edit & CC would be richer in Y & G tones only and i believe that the sharp is still an 8 bit screen.

I am also guessing with some slight confidence that the RGBY is still within YUV. I have never heard of a YUV LCD so this RGBY would still be within the YUV world. R and G are contrasted and so is B & Y and in that respect it does sound more balanced.

So if we know that that this (sharp RGBY) is the intended platform that the video is to play on. Is there something extra that we would have to do in the CC software to take advantage of the extra Y?

Screen shot NOTICE the red bug. It seems like one of those optical illusion that makes it seem redder. I would reference strypes post from i think 2 years ago that showed how BG and FG differences could effect what we see as a colour. However i couldn't find it.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
March 27, 2010 01:10AM
Technical specifications for YRGB compliant delivery is already standard in many broadcast delivery specs J ... its got nothing to do with these monitors tho. And no, to help answer your question, broadcast delivery guidelines are not based on the display capabilities of any specific monitor, at least not in the way you are imagining.
Best
Andy
March 27, 2010 07:02AM
In YRGB, Y refers to the luma channel. Not sure what you mean by YRGB compliance, Andy. Are there separate specs for that?

www.strypesinpost.com
March 27, 2010 08:19AM
Hey Strypes

Our network specs regarding YRGB are the same as the BBC worldwide specs:

Video Levels and Gamut (illegal signals):
Video levels including any line-up shall be received within the specified limits so that the programme material can be used without adjustment.

Video levels are based on the PAL System which specifies 0 to 100% RGB Limits. We require that signals meet the easier EBU Recommendation R103-2000:

Luminance limits -1% and 103%
Chrominance 105% max - RGB values to not exceed limits -5% to +105%

Overshoots can be ignored by the use of a low pass IRE filter. Single lines with larger errors caused by vertical processing such as aperture correction and aspect ratio conversion are permitted if they do not exceed the -1% Luminance limit.

Cheers
Andy

March 27, 2010 09:01AM
Corbett's use of the term "RGBY" refers to Sharp's proprietary scheme for a fourth display primary, a yellow one. It's not the same as YRGB, which is a combined luma-red-green-blue parade display on a waveform monitor.

Corbett, this thread is based on so many fundamental misunderstandings of color science that it's impossible even to know where to begin.

The short answer to your question is no.

March 27, 2010 09:20AM
Which is what I said in my first reply Jeff.
March 27, 2010 09:24AM
Yeah, I know. My intention was to elaborate on the point you guys were making, not to correct y'all. Sorry for being unclear.

March 27, 2010 12:46PM
Ok, So i would just ignore what the Sharp LCD does with the extra color and correct as normal and There is nothing that i should do in CC to take advantage of this proprietary color scheme.

It will effect nothing in the normal workflow.

""""
March 27, 2010 02:36PM
Thanks, Andy.

I'm bailing out of this one...

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics