Does anyone know how convert DVR-MS to Quicktime on a mac

Posted by Andy Field 
Does anyone know how convert DVR-MS to Quicktime on a mac
April 07, 2010 03:33PM
We just received a disk of this pain in the behind format -- DVR-MS -- it's some Windows Media Center only format - I've searched high and low on the web and there doesn't seem to be a way to convert it to QuickTime editable format short of finding a PC to do it....any ideas? I've tried VLC (it will play it it but no luck converting with it yet)

Thanks Andy
Re: Does anyone know how convert DVR-MS to Quicktime on a mac
April 07, 2010 07:55PM
I just looked at the Wiki and nearly the whole thing is about how to get it out of the stupid original format. What a pain it sounds like - won;t even play on other flavours of Windows. They do mention VLC - but do you have ffmpeg installed too? I think sometimes VLC needs this to do certain kinds of transcoding. Or maybe that was Mpeg Streamclip..

April 07, 2010 07:57PM
Well ? at the risk of sounding stupid, since that appears to be some kind of Microsoft DVR format ? could you maybe rent a Microsoft DVR or whatever (!?) for a day and play it out to a VTR?

April 07, 2010 09:10PM
I may have to do that - leave it to Microsoft to come up with a format no one else can use
April 07, 2010 09:14PM
I'm just trying to figure out how you got footage in that format in the first place.

April 07, 2010 09:39PM
we didn't - someone else shot it (construction crews in high def - and it looks very good in VLC) we were handed the hard drive -- royal pain
April 07, 2010 11:20PM
How did they shoot it? Is this selects or something? This had to be recorded off a screen, no? I thought it was some kind of screen capture thing..

"VR-MS (Microsoft Digital Video Recording) is a proprietary video and audio file container format, developed by Microsoft used for storing TV content recorded by Windows XP Media Center Edition, Windows Vista and Windows 7. "

April 08, 2010 04:29PM
Trying to find out -- it's a real pain format
April 08, 2010 07:36PM
It really looks it. So tied up in restrictions almost no-one can view it.

April 09, 2010 09:56AM
well it was an engineering firm - talk about convoluted -- originally shot for National Geographic on HDCAM -- then dubbed for them on to HDV - ingested into their PC via microsoft's media center -- but good news - they're shipping us the HDV tapes - problem solved -- Thanks for your advice
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics