Getting Political Footage

Posted by J.Corbett 
Getting Political Footage
April 16, 2010 06:49AM
I have seen many many commercials using presidential footage. I know that they are using this footage royalty free.

How is this footage obtained?

How is the network news footage obtained? (also royalty free to my understanding)

I had thought to rip the footage from a dvd but there has to be another source.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: Getting Political Footage
April 16, 2010 06:52AM
It's most certainly not royalty free. CNN Imagesource is a good resource for this kind of thing; ABC News also licenses their B-roll, I believe, as does C-SPAN.

April 16, 2010 07:44AM
thanks i have made an order on cnn to see what the pricing is like.

I thought that the presidents and congressional leaders speeches were public domain.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
April 16, 2010 10:16AM
It's not the president or the congressional leaders you need permission to use footage of them, it's the network that shot it. They are a free enterprise and hold the rights of what they shoot. They make it available to those who want to use it for different medias. But you'll pay a fee. I think that's only fair..
April 16, 2010 10:22AM
Yea. They're free if you shot them and got the necessary release forms signed.

www.strypesinpost.com
April 16, 2010 10:50AM
If you just want generic footage of political looking stuff there are newsreels in the Prelinger Archive that are public domain. Churchill addressing the US Congress is in there somewhere.
This Prelinger archive sounds interesting, tell me andrew, how do I find that on the net?

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
April 16, 2010 11:03AM
Thanks

""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics