Unknown file error

Posted by starvideo 
Unknown file error
May 04, 2010 01:01PM
Okay, I'm working in FCP 5. I've got a project with the following settings:

1440 x 1080
HDV 1080i60

I've been working on this project for several months and I thought we were finished. But my uber-picky client just had a "few more" changes.

In the meantime, I had major computer problems (macpro running 10.5.8) that a failing hard drive and permission issues (may still have some but I'm afraid to change anything at this point until I hear from my Apple guy).

The file opens and saves with no problem. But when I go to render the sequence, it gives me that blasted unknown file error.

Here's what I've tried:

--Went back to an earlier version from Time Machine
--Tried copying the entire sequence into a new file
--Tried saving the project onto another drive
--Tried XML export and then import into a new project
--Tried opening another project on the same drive -- no error

What am I missing?
Re: Unknown file error
May 04, 2010 01:17PM
The fact that another project doesn't have this problem, and that "flushing" the project file doesn't help, suggests to me that you have corrupt or at least unfriendly media somewhere that's specific to this project.

I would copy the timeline's contents a small group at a time to a new project. Save the new project at each step, and see if you can locate when the problem starts cropping up.

www.derekmok.com
May 04, 2010 04:49PM
Okay, here's what I did. I put all the project files onto an external drive and then ejected that drive, basically unconnecting them. This was after copying them into a new project.

I thought I had the problem isolated when I went to reconnect because I had a Motion file that was giving me problems. Reconnected everything on that.

Then opened up the original project with the motion file fixed. All looked good. It was rendering and I ran out to pick up a camera.

When I returned to the office, I got a new error message -- File error: Access Denied.

Any thoughts?
May 04, 2010 05:49PM
Okay, nevermind. I realized that I had another problem Motion file at the end that was causing my problems. Fixed and resolved.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics