Media Manager or Compressor

Posted by blimpmedia 
Media Manager or Compressor
May 04, 2010 08:59AM
Can someone please verify, is there any difference in quality by rendering a proxy version of my rushes using Media Manager in FCP as appose to Compressor?
Re: Media Manager or Compressor
May 04, 2010 09:03AM
Not so it matters. You could have more control in Compressor, but these are proxies after all.

All the best,

Tom
May 04, 2010 07:31PM
Nope, but unless I'm mistaken, Compressor is faster since you can configure it to use multiple cores if you have a multiprocessor mac. Media Manager I think is limited to just 1 or 2.

----------------
"What do you mean there's no undo?"

Matthew Celia
matt@fcpguru.com
www.fcpguru.com
May 04, 2010 07:36PM
Most important of all, Compressor doesn't tie up your edit system. You can process on just a few processors in the background while continuing to work.

May 04, 2010 07:42PM
is it possible to tell compressor to use the exact same name and not add the additional extension?

Example, the original file name is: rochelle.mov but compressor will encode it to: rochelle-Apple ProRes 422 (Proxy).mov
May 04, 2010 07:45PM
Depends on your computer I guess. FCP can be a complete dog with Compressor running in the background. I find I'd rather walk away than try to work.

All the best,

Tom
May 04, 2010 07:45PM
Yes, just edit the name. But Compressor won't overwrite an existing file. Also, you should really start a new thread when you have an unrelated question. Lots of people don't bother to read threads they aren't interested in directly or can't contribute to.

May 04, 2010 07:51PM
Ok thanks Jeff.... writing thread now
May 04, 2010 07:51PM
Something I've learned about Compressor, Tom, is that you should figure out how many processors you want it to use, then fire off half that many instances of it. At least on 3.0.6 (I haven't really pushed 3.5 heavily) each transcode process takes up about two CPUs worth of cycles. So if you've got an eight-proc system and you want to reserve four to work on, tell Qmaster to start two Compressor instances.

I haven't seen that documented anywhere, but empirically it seems to work for me.

May 04, 2010 07:58PM
>is it possible to tell compressor to use the exact same name and not add the additional extension?

Yes. Go to the destinations tab. Create a custom location (right click, duplicate), under output filename template, delete "setting name", keep "source media name".

Go back to settings tab, create a custom setting in Compressor, rename it and in the actions tab, change default destination to the one you have created.

The other way is to create a droplet (which could be better, considering the lag in Compressor).

www.strypesinpost.com
May 04, 2010 08:01PM
Thanks so much Gerard hot smiley
May 04, 2010 08:03PM
> is that you should figure out how many processors you want it to use, then fire off half that
>many instances of it.

Hmm... I figured "instances" means one logical processor? Once had a session where I had to encode a DVD and edit. It was a dual G5 then, and I switched Qmaster to 1 instance and continued to edit.

The only other issue is RAM usage, which you have no control of with Qmaster, but it doesn't eat up that much RAM usually.

www.strypesinpost.com
May 04, 2010 08:10PM
In Qmaster parlance, "instance" means one running ? um ? instance. @#$%&.

Okay, go to the dock. Click Safari once. That's one instance of Safari running. Click it again. Nothing happens. But if something did happen, you'd have two instances of Safari running.

An instance is not a thread (if you know that term), and it's not a processor. It's a single process, in Unix terminology.

It seems like each CompressorTranscoderX process in 3.0 will consume on the order of 150-190% of a single CPU, which means it's equivalent to two CPUs, which means 8 instances on an 8-proc system won't really run much faster than 4 instances, and may in fact run slower because of cache contention and context switching issues. Note that this is not necessarily true under 3.5. Like I said, I haven't really tested it.

May 04, 2010 08:35PM
Useful info guys , cheers for that.....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics