Digitizing 29.97 Problem

Posted by manonfire 
Digitizing 29.97 Problem
May 07, 2010 06:26PM
I am trying to digitize footage through our AJA I/O Express from a digi-beta tape that is film shot at 24fps transfered at 29.97fps 24fps with pulldown. My import setting on FCP are SD 29.97. I set my input to the 1hr. where the hole is punched on the film, I import, and when it is done importing I don't see the hole at the 1hr timecode. I think it is trying to pull in drop-frame because if I go to add handles before I digitize there is a semicolon. Any help or thoughts?
Re: Digitizing 29.97 Problem
May 07, 2010 06:44PM
You're saying that the TC changes from DF to NDF right around the start of the transfer?
That kind of thing, an incorrectly striped tape, could mess up how FCP calculates the preroll and modify your capture start.
I would mess around with capturing exactly 10 sec chunks of tape from before, across, and after the TC switch and, if possible capturing with the Beta decks TC burnt in to the picture to see what's going on w.r.t. what FCP thinks it's getting.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
May 07, 2010 07:09PM
So I digitized the footage with the TC burnt in and the hole punch happens at exactly the 1hr as it's supposed to, but not in FCP, FCP shows the hole to land on 00:59:59:29. Maybe its an AJA problem?
May 07, 2010 07:33PM
Or you haven't calibrated your capture setting fully. If the DF/NDF is not an issue and you can see the hole punch now, you need to change your device control offset setting as detailed here:

[www.lafcpug.org]

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics