TELECINE 16mm

Posted by dan chapman 
TELECINE 16mm
May 10, 2010 06:51PM
I'm having a 16mm 7" reel of old B&W footage digitized. The footage was shot in 1972. My docu is shot in mostly SD 24pa with a dvx100. I know (old school) but I started it six years ago. My timeline is DV 720 X 480, 23.98 anamorphic.

My question is, what format should the film be converted? It might be the only time this footage will be digital, so I thought it would be good to have it at HD, then brought into my timeline letting FCP downrez it.

Dual 2.5 Ghz G5, 5GB SDRAM, FCP 6.0.6, QT 7.6.2, OS 10.4.11
Re: TELECINE 16mm
May 10, 2010 07:10PM
Yes, transfer at HD. At this point in time there's little point in making an SD master for conservation purposes.

There is the issue of capturing it for the project, though. You can either capture it into HD clips (more expensive, but better quality, and better for the long run), or downconvert at the capture stage into SD clips. The latter option will yield smaller files and no rendering. The former option gives more versatility and quality, and you can also downconvert that stuff to make SD versions yourself using the HD clips you get. If you get only SD clips now, and then a potential distributor suddenly asks you for the project in HD, then your SD clips will be useless and you'd have to redo the transfer all over again.

www.derekmok.com
Re: TELECINE 16mm
May 10, 2010 08:44PM
I agree - get it tk'd to HD for future-proofing and downconvert for this project.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics