mpeg4s

Posted by Chris Rawlence 
mpeg4s
May 24, 2010 02:44PM
Embarrassingly simple question. Just cut some short movies on FCP for someone to embed on their website. Their technical people need the cuts. What's the best format to send them in? Would this be burnable via iDVD? Thanks....
Re: mpeg4s
May 24, 2010 02:55PM
Chris-

Did they ask for any specific codec or size? Are they going to compress them, or are they asking you too?

In any event I would not deliver them as a video DVD, but rather burn them as quicktime movies on a data DVD.

-Vance
May 24, 2010 05:37PM
> Just cut some short movies on FCP for someone to embed on their website. Their technical
> people need the cuts. What's the best format to send them in?

That's not a question for us. That's a question for their "technical people". For example, it's a huge difference whether they are converting the media to Flash themselves, or whether they are allowing an embedded QuickTime Player or download of the files in MPEG-4 or .mov. It's a difference whether they need a dumbo PC format (like WMV) or something more from the modern age (like an H.264 MPEG-4). It's a difference whether the files need to be small enough to e-mail (under 20MB, in some cases even under 10MB), whether the videos can stream (under 40MB), or whether they will be converting to Flash (in which case give them a big file to maximize quality).

Ask them.

www.derekmok.com
May 25, 2010 08:02PM
Yeah it's quite normal to ask them what they want it delivered in. You won't be considered a ditz to ask that. If they don't know, ask more questions about what they will be doing with the file like Derek did above.

May 26, 2010 12:05PM
It should be H.264/QT, since Flash handles it, but it is their call, and your job is to deliver to specs.

But sometimes you get your average IT guy handling the show who may not know much about web encoding, and they'll assume you deliver flv because it works in their test, but you really don't have a reason to these days. So if I was in your shoes, and they tell me flv, i'll ask "why flv?" If they mention that the target market largely uses PCs from 4 years ago and they are unlikely to have done any upgrades since then (a likely scenario in big corporations), then I"ll deliver flv to their specific bitrate and frame size.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics