Can a Not For Resale FCP be upgraded?

Posted by moonloon1 
Can a Not For Resale FCP be upgraded?
June 03, 2010 09:14PM
I bought my Mac G5 OS X.5.8, DP 2.0, 6 GIG RAM, 1 TB HD a couple years ago and it came with FCP 5.1.4 "Not For Resale" apparently a promo with the Mac. Can "Not For Resale" FCP, it be upgraded? My problem is of course I use HDV and I need to create a good looking DVD as it is looking like crap in SD and the codecs don't work so well with HDV. HELP!
Re: Can a Not For Resale FCP be upgraded?
June 03, 2010 09:18PM
The bad news is no, NFR and academic licenses are not eligible for upgrade pricing.

The good news is that even if you were eligible, the upgrade would do you no good. Final Cut Pro is Intel-only now.

Maybe you can find a version 6 license ? the last PowerPC version ? on eBay or something. But take care when purchasing to make sure you're getting a legit license.

Re: Can a Not For Resale FCP be upgraded?
June 04, 2010 05:29AM
Heeee ... The only NFR "promo" copies I've ever seen pre-bundled on a Mac were copies put there by Hong Kong based Mac retailers (they all used to do it) who regularly used such practices as incentives to attract buyers ... "yes, we will give you all this software for free boss, photoshop, fcp, whatever you want, special license for you, mo men tai ahhh" ... all completely illegal of course. Not saying thats what you've got there, but as Jeff notes, do try to get a full retail licensed version going forward, that way, if and when you go for an upgrade to an Intel based Mac later down the line you'll be well placed to pick up an upgrade to whatever is by then the latest and greatest (and apparently kickass and awesome) FCP version available :-).
Good luck on the search
Andy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics