Exporting a 4:3 DV Movie to 16:9 for DVD Studio Pro

Posted by ackronomicon 
Exporting a 4:3 DV Movie to 16:9 for DVD Studio Pro
June 08, 2010 11:20AM
I shot my footage using the original DVX100 using the 16:9 feature, so the image is really 4:3 with a 16:9 matte. I want to create a true 16:9 DV file to export for DVD Studio Pro so my 16:9 image plays on a 16:9 TV the right way.

I couldn't figure it out in DV, so I edited and exported the DV file normally, then brought it onto a 720 HDTV timeline and stretched it to remove the bars on top and bottom. This movie was 1 hour, so 12 hours of rendering and 12 hours to make the HD QT Movie. Much too long! How can I do this in DV? I tried to do stick my 4:3 on a 16:9 DV timeline, stretch and export, but DVD Studio Pro wont read the file.
Re: Exporting a 4:3 DV Movie to 16:9 for DVD Studio Pro
June 08, 2010 11:37AM
> I want to create a true 16:9 DV file to export for DVD Studio Pro so my 16:9 image plays on a
> 16:9 TV the right way.

If you want anamorphic 16:9 from your letterboxed 4:3, you need to stretch out your image vertically until the letterbox bars disappear from your visible 720x480 area. A Distort - Aspect Ratio of 33.33 plus Scale (can't remember how much -- something like 138 per cent, I believe) should take care of it. And make sure you set your Sequence to anamorphic 16:9.

Do not use a 720p timeline. You'll be blowing up your image even more for no reason. You need an anamorphic 16:9 SD timeline, not an oversized HD timeline. All you're looking for is the aspect ratio, not a bigger image area to fill, since you're going to SD DVD.

> I tried to do stick my 4:3 on a 16:9 DV timeline, stretch and export, but DVD Studio Pro wont
> read the file.

You're doing something else wrong. Without knowing your settings, both in FCP and in DVDSP, I can't tell you what you're doing wrong.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics