Canon EOS T2i & FCP Log & Capture (issues)

Posted by Ben Ged Low 
Canon EOS T2i & FCP Log & Capture (issues)
April 29, 2010 07:37PM
I've installed the Canon plug-in for FCP, to be able to use Log & Transfer when capturing Canon .MOV files.

I've done the suggested change to the camera.plist (adding the Canon EOS T2i) to the list of supported cameras.

But I can't seem to get FCP Log & Capture to read the Canon .MOV files ... they appear grayed out.

This happens when I direct Log & Transfer to the USB Reader, to the camera itself, or to a folder on my Mac where I've moved the .MOV files.

The pop-up message is always: "Desktop" (or whatever folder the files are in) contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media.

I've heard on numerous forums that if one changes the 'camera.plist' file, adding the new camera, the .MOV files can be read and opened and Logged and Transferred by FCP. I've heard it works for people. I can't quite figure out why it isn't working for me.

Running latest FCP, updated an all.

All ears, Ben
Re: Canon EOS T2i & FCP Log & Capture (issues)
April 29, 2010 07:40PM
Like most other L&T plugins, you need to have the entire directory structure of the card for the plugin to work. You can't just pull Quicktimes off the card and then use the plugin to import them. It's a good idea to get in the habit of making disk images of your cards before log-and-transfer.

I know you said you're using a card reader, but you also said you're trying to address the Quicktimes directly, so I thought I'd throw out the only piece of advice I could think of.

April 29, 2010 08:17PM
Hi Jeff,

I wonder how one goes about making a disk image from the card itself? I've done disk images many times, but always of other drives, or DVD's \ CD's. Mmmm. Maybe I just answered my own question. I wasn't seeing the 'reader' earlier (in my Finder window), coz I was trying to come straight from the camera. And then I ran out and got the reader.

Thank you for this, it may be the solution ...

All the best,

Ben
April 29, 2010 08:39PM
Yup, you did answer your own question. The name "disk image" is actually misleading. They're really filesystem images. Anything with a filesystem on it can be turned into a ".dmg" file. You do it through Disk Utility, like any other disk image. But if I remember right, the EOS plugin actually has a function right inside it for making an image of a mounted card.

April 29, 2010 08:51PM
Hi Jeff,

Did as you suggested. Then opened the .dmg file. Then directed the Log & Transfer to the correct folder. Nope. All .MOV files still grayed out.

If I direct Log & Transfer directly to the .dmg file itself, I can go down through the folder hierarchy and see the .MOV files, no longer grayed out ... but ... I still can't get them to come into the Log & Transfer window. Pop-up still says 'unsupported media or invalid directory structure.

Now MPEG Streamclip can see the .MOV files immediately, no problems, and can open them, and can deliver a fine ProRes version.

So I'm particularly confused. And I swear I did the changes to the Canon .plist file exactly as prescribed by numerous individuals.

Anything else come to mind? Some odd little preference in FCP that is limiting the codecs it can read? I have no idea.

Ben
April 29, 2010 08:59PM
Fraid not, Ben. I don't actually use the plugin; I was just offering up secondhand advice. The fact that you had to go in and modify the source code doesn't bode well, however. Maybe your best bet is just to wait until Canon or GlueTools releases a plugin that supports your camera, much as that may suck.

April 30, 2010 12:17PM
Ben
This happens when I direct Log & Transfer to the USB Reader, to the camera itself, or to a folder on my Mac where I've moved the .MOV files.

Ben, Jeff is right that the L&T works with the directory structure. I have the 7D and the only way the plugin works is if you have the directory with the .mov files. My method is I have the card reader via firewire and when I pull up the L&T plugin it works fine and captures the files on my scratch on my external harddrive. Never tried it directly from the camera though.
April 30, 2010 01:37PM
Have you tried importing the movie files using Compressor? Not the beautiful L&T option, but at least you have access to your footage.

Also, to make a disk image, open Disk Utility, select the card from the column on the left and then select "New image" It will automatically set it up to make an image from the disk you selected. I make sure to not use compression. Works great.

----------------
"What do you mean there's no undo?"

Matthew Celia
matt@fcpguru.com
www.fcpguru.com
April 30, 2010 01:57PM
Thank you fcpguru,

I haven't tried Compressor yet. I've got MPEG Streamclip working fine though ... so I can get ProRes versions (but without timecode etc.).

I did try a disk image, which didn't seem to change anything. But remembering now, the compression was set I believe. Maybe if I try a version WITHOUT compression... I'll try that next.

I just can't get FCP to read and open the .MOV files coming from the Canon.

Much appreciated,

Ben
April 30, 2010 07:30PM
Just so you know, it makes no difference whether you have compression on or not when you make a disk image.

April 30, 2010 09:43PM
Thank you Jeff.

So it remains a mystery. Why my FCP won't see and open the .MOV files ... even though the file structure is as it should be, and I've written the T2i into the camera list in the 'camera.plist' file (as recommended).

I keep waiting for heaven to deliver the solution.

All the best,

Ben
April 30, 2010 09:45PM
I'm wondering if it might have something to do with the fact that I'm still in Leopard, but running the latest FCP. I wonder if it's time to upgrade to Snow Leopard? Could that be my issue?
May 01, 2010 05:31AM
You are completely misunderstanding how you use LOG and TRANSFER. You don't go digging into the folders and then try to open the QT movies. OH my no. You just point FCP to the MAIN folder. The one that contains all the folder. The TOP MOST LEVEL of the path. Well, not TOP most...that would be the HARD DRIVE. You point to the folder containing all the subfolders, THEN hit OPEN.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
May 01, 2010 09:50AM
Hi Shane,

No such luck. That might be the right way to do it. But I'm still getting a warning drop-down note: '"Folder X" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media.'

I get this no matter how I prep the folders. Even if I make a .dmg file ... an exact copy of what's coming from the reader ... the .MOV files are always grayed out (in Log & Capture).

If I bring one of those Canon .MOV files straight into Final Cut, I can put it on a timeline and render it out, so it's not a question of missing a particular plug-in in my Quicktime.

It's just that with the Log & Transfer nothing I've done so far has worked. FCP, through the Log & Transfer just isn't recognizing the files.

If I use MPEG Streamclip I can get the files easily and convert them to ProRes seamlessly. But I would like to be able to do it with the Log & Capture. I'm going to have a LOT of material to convert.

Thanks for the try ... much appreciated,

Ben
May 03, 2010 12:27AM
UPDATE: After posting my message below, just figured out my issue. I had not mounted my dmg... Ben try to mount your DMG file and see if that works?

I am actually having a similiar issue. It works just fine the Log and transfer from my USB reader but when I create an image, Log and transfer does not see my DMG files. I am on FCP 6.0.6. I try to add a custom path in log and transfer and still gives me the exact same error as Ben.
May 03, 2010 09:53AM
Probably a dumb point, but iPhoto is able to import all the Quicktimes from a T2i with no problems! Then just import the desired files into FCP.
May 03, 2010 10:15AM
Hi jmcquaid,

I bet Aperture (which I use all the time) could do this too. I think the issue is that once imported, they then have to be 'rendered' out from an FCP timeline.

The idea, I'm told, of Log & Transfer is that the conversion takes place during the transfer process, and is 3 times faster than bringing the clips onto the FCP timeline and exporting them out as ProRes.

I can bring the clips easily into MPEG Streamclip, and then convert them ... pretty fast process. But they say the FCP Log & Transfer is SUPPOSED to work the most efficiently. If I can get it to work.

But!! I will try your suggestion today, and see if, once imported by iPhoto or Aperture, FCP can THEN read the files to be able to Log & Transfer them. My problem has been that FCP won't recognize the files ... whether in the camera, in the Reader, or even on the desktop as a disk image, or after they've been brought onto the drive by whatever method.

I'll let you know if somehow iPhoto does something to the clips so that FCP can see them.

All the best,

Ben
June 13, 2010 04:47PM
I think I may have found a solution to the problem. I assume you have downloaded the EOS Plugin (which if you click on the link goes to the 5d, just find ur OS and select the "EOS MOVIE Plugin-E1 for Final Cut Pro"winking smiley. The problem with this plug in is that it does not have support for the T2i/550D built in. I did some searching and was able to find this: [lfhd.net]

Click on the link for the HACK (direct link at: [www.finalcutuser.com]) and then follow the instructions on how to change the cameras.plist to add the appropriate camera.

After doing this, I was able to mount my .DMG, open up Final Cut Pro, and log and transfer clips right from the mounted DMG!!!! And I can get them in all of the various Apple ProRes Codecs!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics