DVD burn

Posted by Darryl Palmer 
DVD burn
July 18, 2006 11:01PM
Hi,
I have finished my program and outputted to tape but want to burn a few DVD copies for my clients. I have created a quicktime file of the sequence and then dragged it back into iDVD. After the burn, I watched the program and it ahs this weird horizintal interlacing. On static shots (locked off interviews) it looks fine but any shots with movement (pans especially), there are strange horizintal lines acroos the screen. They are quite wide and there are about 20 of them top to bottom. Everything seemed to go fine except the final look of the product?! Any suggestions as to what might be wrong?
Thanks in advance!
Darryl
Re: DVD burn
July 18, 2006 11:16PM
Need moreinfo. How was the original filmed? etc.

Kevin

"A problem can never be solved by the same consciousness that created it"
Einstein
July 19, 2006 06:02AM

<<<They are quite wide and there are about 20 of them top to bottom.>>>

But they go away when you view the DVD on a stand-alone DVD player into a glass TV set, right?

Koz

July 19, 2006 10:19AM
the project was shot on a variety of formats including Beta SP. The sequence settings were 8bit uncompressed. The quicktime looks fine, it's just the DVD that I burned. On an NTSC monitor (TV), it looks like crap, but only on shots that have movement. Again, a static shot looks fine. So no Koz, it doesn't look right on a stand alone system.
Thanks for your help.
Darryl
July 19, 2006 10:30AM
how long is the movie?

"A problem can never be solved by the same consciousness that created it"
Einstein
July 19, 2006 06:57PM
It's half an hour.
July 20, 2006 12:08PM
<<<a variety of formats including Beta SP.>>>

The BetaSP should have looked fine. It's the variety of formats I'm worried about.

This is an interlace artifact and happens most often on computer monitors when the scan of the display or monitor is different than the show. Like refresh is 75 but the show is NTSC 29.97.

If it's happening on the finished and burned DVD, then one of those formats may have been progressive, or a standard conversion from PAL (assuming NTSC) or something wacky like that.

Koz

July 20, 2006 08:09PM
There is always the off chance you accidentally changed the interlace setting in DVD SP so that it is not keeping he settings you had in FCP. (Lowerfield changed to upper or none for example)

Johan Polhem
Motion Graphics
www.johanpolhem.com
July 21, 2006 12:11PM
As part of this project, I also have a 30 second commercial that was shot entirely on DV. The quicktime looks fine if I drag it back into my project but the burn to DVD has the same horizontal banding. I checked and my preferences are all selected to lower field. I'm stumped.....
D.
July 21, 2006 03:01PM
is the "quicktime" a reference movie from FCP? if so, try making one that's self-contained and see what's up.

i'd also try compressing to another format - like h.264, but make it a large size and high quality and self-contained. i'd try to get away from the origianl edited footage in case that's the culprit. anyway, i'd play around and see if it makes any difference.

i might also try importing to after effects, render it out again and see what that does. or resave in quicktime.

i agree, this sounds like an out of sync interlacing issue to me, too, which is why i'd play with it in different formats and such. heck, if this got completely uncorrectable, i might even export the whole thing as numbered, sequential tiffs and reassemble the whole maguffin in after effects. heavy-handed, but it removes the interlace issue from discussion.

ooh - how about this - export a still image from your sequence where you know there are problems - is it still weird on the graphic?

and have you burned another disc? could this be a burner/disc issue?

i dunno, grabbing at straws with you, bud.

good luck.

HarryD
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics