The logic of linking

Posted by Dan Brockett 
The logic of linking
June 25, 2010 06:30PM
Hi all:

What is the logic behind that you can highlight multiple clips in the timeline and unlink them all at once, yet you can only link clips one at a time? Is there some hidden keyboard shortcut beyond command-L that I should know?

I am working with DVCPRO HD clips that were given to me as QTs, not as MXFs so I could not log and transfer them with only audio Ch1 and Ch2 intact, ignoring Ch3 & Ch4 as I usually do on the low end P2 cameras. Had to import them so getting rid of all of the Ch3 and Ch4 bogus audio from the camera mic is a PITA. Is there a workaround to do this quicker than grab a mess of them on the time line, unlink all of them, then manually highlight each clip on the time line and re-link the video to audio 1 and 2?

There isn't a way to eliminate audio tracks in the browser is there?

Thanks for recommendations,

Dan Brockett
Re: The logic of linking
June 25, 2010 06:36PM
> Is there a workaround to do this quicker than grab a mess of them on the time line, unlink all of
> them, then manually highlight each clip on the time line and re-link the video to audio 1 and 2?

Yeah, in fact, two ways.

1. Unhook the Source/Destination buttons for A3 and A4 when editing them in the timeilne. That way the audio never even enters the edit.

2. Leave the clips linked. Hold OPTION, lasso the audio on A3 and A4, delete. The remaining audio stays linked.

www.derekmok.com
June 25, 2010 06:59PM
Thanks Derek. You rock! I really appreciate the tips, it will save me a lot of time. I knew that there must be a way to do it but couldn't divine these from the manual.

Cheers,

Dan
June 25, 2010 09:54PM
You could also right click to the left of the little lock at the far left of the timeline and select 'delete track', if you were sure that was all that was on that track, but my recommendation would be Derek's first one. Don't add it to the timeline in the first place.

June 25, 2010 09:58PM
Normally I just deselect Ch3 and Ch4 for the low end P2 cameras during log and transfer but these were given to me as QuickTimes so I had no choice but to manually delete them.
June 25, 2010 11:54PM
Yeah but when you add them from the viewer to the timeline, you can unpatch A3 and 4 so that only the video and A1 and 2 end up on the timeline at all.

This is quite old, but check out the section on disconnecting
[www.kenstone.net]

June 26, 2010 08:02AM
"There isn't a way to eliminate audio tracks in the browser is there? "

no, you have to do it in the timeline.

however, having deleted the tracks from your timeline copies, you may well find that match framing them will bring up the 4tk version from the browser.

to get around this, and to get 2tk versions into the browser,
copy the clips from the timeline, then paste them into a new bin in the browser.
delete the originals and now work only from the new bin.

if you want to use a timeline for rushes viewing and selection,
i suspect you should make a new one, not rely on the timeline you used to delete tks 3+4

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics