OT: problems with B and H?

Posted by bdplaid 
OT: problems with B and H?
July 19, 2006 08:35PM
I've used B anh H photo for awhile and have been more or less happy with them, but lately about half the things they send to me are clearly restocked - a green screen that was torn, and a UV filter that had a broken seal and a blemish on the glass. I'm in the process of RMA'ing them, but I shouldn't have to do this with product that is so clearly damaged.

I was wondering if anyone else was having these problems with them, and do we need a new vendor?

thanks,

HarryD

HarryD
Re: OT: problems with B and H?
July 19, 2006 10:38PM
to be honest, ive called them with intent to buy about three times and each time
ive not cared for the manner of the salesperson. and ive learned to go with my gut on these things.
July 19, 2006 10:42PM
I bought my HDR-HC1 HDV Camera from them in May. The Sales guy was extremely nice & helpful. I received my brand new camera within a week in perfect condition. No complaints at all.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 20, 2006 12:35AM
I bought a DSR-11 deck and a Canon GL-2 camera from B&H. I personally didn't have a problem with product quality, speed, or service attitude, and I'm *very* picky about that -- the Apple tech I talked to today was a jackass who kept interrupting me as I was trying to describe my problem. I haven't had any bad experiences with B&H myself.
July 20, 2006 01:41AM
I have gotten Good service from BH -
But I have not had a problem come up

Samsung and Comp USA are trying to burn
me out of a $300 Rebate at the moment tho --

They should Know better than to mess with a editor -Jay-
July 20, 2006 01:59AM
I just ordered and received my PVM-14L5 monitor and HD SDI adaptor from them. And every drive I order is from them, and DVCAM deck. Not one complaint from me.

Nothing used yet.
July 20, 2006 03:01AM
I haven't had any major problem's with B and H
altho when I deal with them I go to the store

the only real problem I had (aside from finding a helpful sales rep, man they have some pushy ignoramuses) was they messed up the size of the LCD shade that came free with the camera bag and wanted a 25% restocking fee off the regular price of it to exchange it.

because it was DVEXPO time (hence why we were in NY) we just went to the Manufacture (Petrol BTW GREAT bags) and they swapped it for us right there on the show floor

David at Movies Rock in Toronto
[www.tofcpug.com]
July 20, 2006 05:49AM
Using B&H for six years... they only messed up one order (in a minor way) and promptly fixed the problem. No complaints.
bj
July 20, 2006 11:05AM
Always had good products and support from B & H.
But i have been overcharged for shipping a few times.
Bj
July 20, 2006 12:09PM
Yeah, maybe it was a fluke, but it was 2 items in the same order that were junked up. I'm not big on receiving merchandise that's in bad shape and supposed to be new. That's the kind of thing that makes me look elsewhere.

So here's a good one -

I really need an 82mm UV filter and can't get one locally. This was one of the items in question at B and H. So I returned it to BH and ordered one from Adorama. 2 days later, Adorama STILL hadn't shipped the filter, even though it's in stock. I cancelled the order, which - no lie - took less than 5 minutes.

If a business wants to stay in business, shouldn't they get the product out faster than they cancel the order? Crazy.

The filter is reordered from BH. so let's see this time.

Thanks for your comments. Back to editing. Or in my case, the pre-production blur.

HarryD
July 20, 2006 02:36PM
I haven't had a problem with B&H. I look forward in dealing with them all the time, and their shipping is fast. If it's in stock, I normally get it within 7 days, and I live in Hawaii.
Anonymous User
July 20, 2006 03:12PM
If you don't have problems, B&H is great.

If you have problems, you have about a 50% chance of getting someone on the other end who cares, and an even smaller chance of it getting fixed.

Most of my current edit suite, save the G5, was purchased through B&H. I personally have only had one issue, and I found a "backdoor" solution through the manufacturer after spending hours on the phone & getting transferred no less than six times trying to get anywhere with the CSRs at B&H. I certainly would have been very angry if the manufacturer hadn't solved my problem after B&H more or less told me to take a flying leap.

For the price, B&H can't be beat, but there is inherent value in having a real relationship with your vendors. Paying more to get good service isn't necessarily a waste of money. B&H can have the rock bottom prices because they obviously don't spend significantly on customer service. When I upgrade to HD, I'll be doing it through a local VAR. Personally, unless it's a unique situation, I don't have any more plans to buy from B&H in the future after my last experience. My business is worth too much to gamble on bad service that might shut me down just to get a good price.

July 20, 2006 06:07PM
i have to agree. my major purchases are always local through my vendor. he has really come through for me when things I have purchased went kablewie and the manufacturer was jerking around. that would be JVC, who eventually came through for me quite well, but it was thanks to my salesman.

most of my accessories and smaller stuff i get at BH - which actually can run into quite a bit of money. but i usually run it through my main vendor first to see what he can do. a lot of time he's making a lot bigger deals than to be bothered with a filter, although he always steps up when i ask him to.

see? that relationship thing again. can't beat it.

HarryD
July 20, 2006 06:27PM
Good observations, Harry and Deb. Being face to face with a vendor raises the stakes and tends to result in better service. It's strange how there's no place that's the equivalent of B&H here in L.A. -- some people mentioned Samy's, but the prices aren't close as far as I can tell.
July 21, 2006 02:48PM
Thanks derek. and truth be told, i can always negotiate a better price from my local guy. it helps that they're a major national player, too, so they also have clout with menufacturers.

but yeah, when i have something that i want to be sure will be supported, i use my guy. i take care of him, and he knows it.

btw - BH update. i decided that what happened earlier was probably a fluke. so yesterday around noon i re-ordered the filter. it arrived today at 3pm. whixh is nice; but this one also was unsealed and had schmutz on it, but it was cleanable. my back is against the wall with time so i'm keeping it. what the heck.

"you gotta watch 'em."

"who?"

"i dunno, but you gotta watch 'em."

HarryD
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics