Suggested hardware support (Santa Monica)?

Posted by Jewel 
Suggested hardware support (Santa Monica)?
July 05, 2010 02:33PM
Hi all,

I suspect a port may have burned out on my Core Duo iMac... are there any places that can do a fast check on those on a walk-in basis? I have a client tomorrow (of course...)

Thanks!!

J!
Re: Suggested hardware support (Santa Monica)?
July 05, 2010 02:47PM
Hi Jewel, just bring it to any computer store. Ideally a mac store with tech support. If it's a USB or firewire device, swap a few devices and cables, and you should be able to tell if it's the port, the cable or the device that isn't working.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 05, 2010 03:00PM
There is an Apple Store on Third Street Promenade, but they're not particularly fast or effective, though. Especially since Apple Stores are now predominantly geared towards mobile devices; I couldn't even find a mouse there last I went. So I'd call a few other places to check, like Mac Hollywood or Melrose Mac. I seriously doubt any place would be able to get it fixed for you in time for tomorrow.

In the meantime, are you trying to hook up a deck or a drive? If it's just storage, I'd suggest using a different drive interface to hook up the drive (eg. USB, eSATA), then copying the necessary content to an internal drive for now just to get through tomorrow. Have you tried other FireWire devices on these ports?

www.derekmok.com
July 05, 2010 07:22PM
MacMall, on 14th and Wilshire. Some great techs there. I brought a powerbook in that my fiance had just dumped a coffee into, and the guy immediately broke it down, saving the hard drive and mounting it in an external case, did the whole thing in 5 minutes for a flat $40.
July 06, 2010 12:23PM
I 2nd MacMall.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics