Frozen time code

Posted by katesund 
Frozen time code
June 29, 2010 02:19AM
Hello,

New here .and just figuring FCP calling from Victoria BC...so this may be a stupid question but I am on FCP 7.0.2 and am loading an old tape of some concert footage, done on some cheap as camcorder...I am trying to capture but the time code doesn't move in the viewer window...when I fast forward it moves but on regular speed it freezes..so the capture doesn't work even in capture Now..

Any ideas

Many thanks!

Kate
Re: Frozen time code
June 29, 2010 04:00AM
We need a lot more info. What is your capture device? What format is the old footage? What capture settings have you got set up[ in FCP? How are you capturing? Using Capture now, or batching?

June 29, 2010 05:21AM
I've seen that frozen timecode issue using DVX100 shot tapes being played back on a basic DV camera. You could have a similar issue. In the early days of DV many cameras couldn't resolve the timecode for tapes from other cameras. The usual solution was to get a DV deck as they had a better chance at getting images and TC off the tape.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
June 29, 2010 11:18AM
What is your capture device?

I am using a Panasonic DVX100B

What format is the old footage?

>>Mini DV...

What capture settings have you got set up[ in FCP?

>>Firewire NTSC
>>>DV NTSC 48 HZ

How are you capturing?

Using Capture now, or batching?

>>Tried both - neither will work

Thanks, K
June 29, 2010 11:22AM
Thanks Andrew..Yes it was shot 4 years ago on who knows what, and as I say there is time code visible in the viewer but it doesn't move...I think there is a deck at school that I will can use..Thanks again.K
June 29, 2010 11:49AM
If all else fails, redub the tape (FireWire to FireWire, camera to deck) and write new timecode. You won't get any loss in the image, but you'll get usable timecode.

www.derekmok.com
June 29, 2010 01:02PM
Right On Derek! This site rocks!
Kate
July 05, 2010 02:32AM
Hi Derek,

Got hold of a DV CAM deck, but the cables don't match and the mini out puts from the camera to the mini inputs on the DVCCAM deck don't seem to work (Can't make a copy) So do I need to get a special firewire to firewire cable?

Thanks,
K
July 05, 2010 02:40AM
Every Mini-DV device I've used has a 4-pin FireWire port. Are you using a 4-pin-to-4-pin FireWire?

If all else fails, dub from a camera to another camera. Not as reliable (decks are more robust than cameras when it comes to real-time playback, timecode, dealing with dropouts etc.), but often works.

www.derekmok.com
July 05, 2010 09:21PM
Got that..was trying the mini output to inout...thanks,
K
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics