Friend needs advice on mac laptop editing

Posted by mark@avolution 
Friend needs advice on mac laptop editing
June 30, 2010 08:36AM
A friend of mine was wondering if the new MAC laptops have the horsepower to edit
DVCPro HD codec.

His project at present is on our system with the Huge Drives which more than handle it,
but he was wondering if this could be transferred toi a new mac with FCP bought with it.

Thanks
Re: Friend needs advice on mac laptop editing
June 30, 2010 01:38PM
SURE! DVCPRO HD is an EASY codec to work with. The newer laptops even work with ProRes 422, and HQ (given fast enough drives...eSATA at least).

My laptop that is two generations old works with DVCPRO HD and ProRes just fine.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
July 01, 2010 12:30AM
I edit using my MBP all the time using DVCPRO HD and Pro Res 422. Best make sure you have adequate drive space and definitely consider getting an additional monitor. At least 22". Things can get a bit cramped on a 15" or 17" screen. Oh, eSata is very helpful, but when I use FW 800 I have not had any significant issues with playback.
July 04, 2010 05:23PM
I was using HD ProRes on an OLD MacBookPro Core 2 Duo in 2006 with 2GB memory and a FireWire 800 RAID 0 drive with the external monitor port hooked up to an HD projector via DVI/HDMI to edit a feature film so I wouldn't worry about the new ones that are considerably more capable!

I just bought the new 17" MBP with i7 - need to put it through it's paces but I'm sure it is much faster compared to the old one.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
July 06, 2010 02:45PM
I am on the verge of pulling the trigger on an i7 Bennie...looking forward to your input on your experience smiling smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics