A Difference in Signal on Monitors / TV's

Posted by J.Corbett 
A Difference in Signal on Monitors / TV's
July 06, 2010 11:50AM
If you are watching a movie on a HDTV (cable), i know that the video is normally progressive.
If you watch a dvd of that same movie on the same tv its still progressive but seemingly at a higher clarity.
If you rip the dvd and put it in fcp, and use the hdtv as a monitor there is a lesser quality that the previous 2 examples.

so my question is, other than compression, what is the difference in these? Is it the signal.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: A Difference in Signal on Monitors / TV's
July 06, 2010 12:36PM
When that happens, give the TV one hard smack on the side, then it'll start behaving again.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 06, 2010 01:22PM
i did. i even shook and kicked it. hahahahahaha

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
July 06, 2010 09:02PM
Then realize that when you rip something from a DVD you are transiding and therefore adding a layer of compression to the footage. And that many dvd players have built in upscaling technology. Something that ripping a DVD to dv any playing out through firefire to a DV deck or camera doesn't do.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
July 06, 2010 09:11PM
well, what did you compress it to?

also it *could* be due to pull down.
as you now i deal with PAL footage mainly and don't normal have to deal with 23.976 or 29.97
so take the following with a grain of salt.

once i did have to rip an old film from an NTSC DVD, and got lots of feild issues.
i had to go though and figure out the field cadences, and run the clip through Cinema Tools to reverse telecine.
at least i think that's what i did it was a while ago, and as i say, i don't do this every day

there were sections within the file where the cadences changed (don't ask me why, i guess it had been edited after it had been telecined)
so i had to batch export it into smaller chunks, and reverse Telecine each of them.

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics