Swapping Sequences

Posted by rchrdgrshff 
Swapping Sequences
August 04, 2010 06:11PM
Is it possible to swap a sequence in your timeline with another in your browser?

In AfterEffects/Premiere you can easily does this by option dragging from the library/browser into the timeline and dropping it onto the selected layer. This works with any media whether its a video, photo, audio file or sequence/comp. Is there a workflow for that in FCP?

These sequences are exactly the same length. I just want to be tidy and have multiple sequences to maintain in my browser.
Re: Swapping Sequences
August 04, 2010 07:15PM
Just drag it to the timeline and overwrite the old one.

www.derekmok.com
August 04, 2010 07:50PM
Trying to figure out exactly what it is you're doing here ... are you using these sequences as nests (dragging into timeline window and dropping on track) and wanting to replace a nest already in the active sequence, or are you just opening an existing sequence for editing (and wanting this action to close the sequence that's already open in the timeline window automatically when this happens)?

If its the former then you can drag the clip or sequence onto the Canvas window's "Replace" overlay or button (or you can drag it into the Viewer window and use the default keyboard shortcut "F11"winking smiley and that will replace the clip under the playhead according to the track targeting ... tho you note these sequences are the same length anyway so why not just drag and drop (overwrite)?

If its the latter, then I think you're out of luck. I don't know of any shortcut that "auto" closes the open sequence when opening a new one, although you can speed up closing it yourself by mapping the "Close Other Tabs" shortcut to something suitable for you ... I tend to just open as many sequences as I need into separate tabs and then toggle between them... use the "Ctrl W" shortcut to close the active tab, or "Close Other Tabs" if I want to concentrate solely on the active one.

Hope it helps
Andy
August 04, 2010 07:50PM
Sorry I didn't explain it correctly.

Lets say I have one sequence (RAW_orig) with one footage file in it. A duplicate (RAW_copy) was made by merging one fcp edit into another. Both sequences point to the very same footage. I have another sequence (MAIN_edit_1) that has multiple cuts of the nested sequence (RAW_copy). Technically they work because the same footage is being referenced but now I have to maintain two sequences.

I would like to be able to replace every instance of RAW_copy with RAW_orig in my edit MAIN_edit1. This way I can delete RAW_copy from the browser and only maintain one version.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics