What's the best telecine option for 35mm features?

Posted by filmman 
What's the best telecine option for 35mm features?
July 27, 2006 01:26AM
Over the next few weeks I'll be doing some telecine work. What's the best format and where in Southern California are some of the places that do that reasonable like?

As an end result, I'm mostly interested in the DVD markets, but would like to have the option to go to 35mm negative cutting using the edge numbers burned into the tape, etc.
Re: What's the best telecine option for 35mm features?
July 27, 2006 03:12AM
ok well you have a problem

negative cutting isn't just as simple as taking your timeline and edl and saying here, every transition, titles etc needs to be done.

and than you have this issue, do you go to dvd, your in standard def, so why spend money on anything but say digi beta (if so i like magic telecine in burbank) but it's sd, and you want beable to screan it

but if you pla on going hi def, plan to spend 2-3 times the amount. i don't have a preferance as to where. the plus for this, is blueray/hddvd is open, you can screan hd tapes, and it's obviusly better quality.

mak up you mind as to what you want

a secret third option is go to matchframe to have what ever you made go bac to film at matchframe (this would be if you went hd) or a similar company that does such things

also the digital intermediat option is open

Amateur Teacher
July 27, 2006 03:13AM
Best format? DI...digital intermediate. 2K scans or 4K scans in a Cineon format. Then downconvert to DVCPRO HD for offline editing.

Or HDCAM SR.

Or onto D5 or HDCAM. Then down to digibeta. But you want a DVD as well as a possible negative cut. Then you want to work in 24fps. You can telecine to digibeta making sure you get a FLEX file or ALE to import into cinema tools to manage and reverse telecine. But with a digibeta you need a capture card, so then you are looking at DVCAM...

Or you can telecine to HDCAM SR and get DVCAM dubs struck and edit that for the DVD, and then online the HDCAM SR and have that printed right onto film, skipping the negative cutter altogether (my favorite).

So many options. Depends what you are set up for. Digibeta and HD requires high speed drives....and a capture card.
July 27, 2006 11:02AM
Thanks, Shane!

"Best format? DI...digital intermediate. 2K scans or 4K scans in a Cineon format. Then downconvert to DVCPRO HD for offline editing."

So then I'll be able to output from DVCPRO HD to DVD as SD or BlueRay HD. I think it's been discussed that editing in DVCPRO HD on the G5, FCP5, is easier than editing in HDV (?)

My next question is: if I take my edited DVCPRO HD project on an external hard drive to a post house, will they be able to conform to 2k or 4k ?
July 27, 2006 11:27AM
You now need to talk to the post facilties about the workflow. But what you do is take them the project file or EDL. But really they need to tell you what they require.
July 27, 2006 01:19PM
Okay, Shane. I wish I knew a few places to compare prices and services though.

And thank you, Aaron, for suggesting other options. I have to decide how much money I should spend and what I'm getting.
July 27, 2006 01:32PM
Just off the top of my head:

Matchframe video
Plastercity Post
CFI
West Post Digital
Digital Film Tree
Encore Video
Riot

There is no shortage of film transfer facilities in LA.
July 27, 2006 07:50PM
I would suggest calling some of the places Shane has mentioned. Talk to several of them, even see if you can go to the facility and meet with someone. Explain what your objectives are and then see what solutions they have to offer. When you feel comfortable with their level of expertise and solutions for your situation, then proceed with the project. The cheapest may not necessarily be the best way to go, as it could cost you a lot more in the long run. Another solution is to hire an experienced post supervisor as they usually have relationships at labs and may be able to save you a lot of money by getting a better deal than you could on your own. They would also have a much better understanding of the required workflow.
July 28, 2006 12:16AM
Thanks, Frank. I'll follow up on that.
July 28, 2006 12:33AM
What kind of film are you doing? If it's pretty straight forward and mostly cuts only - not a lot of VFX or transitions - then you might want to consider telecine to an SD format like DVCAM, then cut the film negative when you've got a finished edit. This cut negative can then be telecined to any HD format you like, or scanned for DI finishing. Potentially, this could be way cheaper.
July 28, 2006 12:53AM
Or just do a complete film finish. Don't forget that it'll look better! Photochemical finish still has a way higher resolution than any DI. Just like vinyl sounds better than cd!
July 28, 2006 09:15PM
Actually a 4K scan and filmout has more resolution than film. And the color grading options on a DI are endless, and are very restricted when finishing in a traditional fashion.
August 04, 2006 06:27AM
Have money or not have money, that is the question. To paraphrase Shakespeare :-)

I called post houses and got an earful. Then I re-read the posts here and I'm even more confused now :-) No fault of yours.

I guess the end use is what matters most in making a decision as to how to finish this project, whether on film or on digital.

Ultimately distribution will decide which way to go. I'm waiting on distributors to make up their minds at this point. Then the choice of which workflow to follow will be easier.

But I appreciate the various choices you've all shown me. I'll share my choices with you. One thing for sure, I'm much more knowledgeable now; I can discuss the options with post houses and distributors alike. Thanks a million, fellas!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics