Record dv signal straight to mac or pc software?

Posted by hochstedler 
Record dv signal straight to mac or pc software?
September 29, 2010 01:40PM
I?ve been searching around recently trying to scratch my curiosity itch of a software program I thought for sure somebody would have built by now. I?ve got a Canon GL2 mini-dv camera and don?t have the funds to buy tapeless physical solutions like these-

http://www.amazon.com/Edirol-Capture-Recorder-Removable-Included/dp/B003ZHHCGK

http://www.powermax.com/parts/show/a-mce-qsdv__hdv-12

I?m trying to speed things up in the capture process for an upcoming conference and was wondering if there?s a dependable piece of software for mac or pc that would allow me to record DV footage LIVE coming from GL2 (most likely through Edirol V-4 switcher in which case I?ll run though a Canopus converter box to go from analog to digital via firewire) directly into pc or mac, thus skipping the tedious capturing time. If you know of any program like this, please enlighten me, would greatly appreciate it. It would have to have some kind of buffer I?d imagine as the video data coming in would be large. I currently use Final Cut Express 4 on a 27" iMac, but don't believe there's any way of doing "instant" record/capture with that?

There?s a possibility that this event I?m taping will be streamed live as well, so may have to figure that into solution. Would use something like Livestream Procaster, but can?t get the powerpoint files ahead of time so will have to use the video switcher approach and include a scan converter.

Thanks for your wisdom and help!
-Jason Hochstedler
Re: Record dv signal straight to mac or pc software?
September 29, 2010 07:19PM
Well, you *can* just capture live using the 'non-controllable device' setting, but your TC will start at 0 on every capture. I recall there is another software thing you can buy, but not what it is.

We use this and a switcher for narrowcasting to a Super Screen : [www.toolsonair.com]

Oh, and at that page I notice they also do something called Just In, which might be helpful.

September 30, 2010 03:23AM
I've done the capture now "non-controllable device" thing, and as long as you roll a backup tape in the camera, it's not a bad solution for the right situation.
September 30, 2010 06:13AM
Oh, wow, I just got a chance to look at that page properly and it actually features our Screen in here Perth. Funny. It is a nice bit of software though.

September 30, 2010 10:09AM
Thanks Mike, I'll give this a try.
September 30, 2010 10:21AM
Thanks Jude for advice! Software may be a little more complex for what we're doing, but it's a step in the right direction. Since we may be streaming, I've thought about the Livestream Procaster free software, but I'm limited by formats that our video hosting client, Vidego, can accept. And last year for this event I used the software they recommend, which is Adobe's free FLash Media Live Encoder, which does the job, but it streamed all videos straight to FlV files, which obviously is a huge drop in quality. So, I'd like to find something that will allow me to record to mov, mp4 AND enter my hosting video stream details to stream instantly. Perhaps my expectations are too lofty ;-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics