retieving replaced project

Posted by billy 
retieving replaced project
October 06, 2010 04:25PM
Hi,

Here's the situation:

I have 2 hard disks with the same project file on each. One project file had my editors log information organized by numbers. The other had the log info with descriptions beside the numbers for my personal reference.

My editor was closing the project and got a "this project name already exists, do you want to replace it". Before I could stop him, he clicked yes. Now, I've lost my version of the project file with all my descriptions.

I've opened earlier versions from the autosave vault but they all come up with my editor's log organization. All the new edit changes are there, but the sequence descriptions are all gone.

My questions is, is there some way of getting my version back?? If I use a "restore project" I'll lose all my edits, right? Same with the "revert to".

Have I lost all my log descriptions??

Thanks,
Billy
Re: retrieving replaced project
October 06, 2010 05:07PM
Next time, don't name two different versions under the same name. You could have put those descriptions into one of the many metadata columns (Comment, Log Note, etc.) in the project file rather than create a whole different version of the project file. Renaming clips in the project file is a big no-no.

If you don't have manual backups of your project file (another mistake), Autosave Vault is your only shot. But make sure you don't replace the current edited version. Call it something else. If it's not there, that's pretty much it.

And next time, the first step when you hand your project file to another operator is you back it up with a date/time stamp, then back it up again to a safe non-active drive location. Even the best, most experienced editor taking over a project can make mistakes, and you don't ever want to tie his hands by making him worried about changing anything lest you lose something.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics