XDCAM EX Workflow Part 2

Posted by DM 
DM
XDCAM EX Workflow Part 2
October 05, 2010 10:33PM
I want to thank everyone and especially Craig, strypes and Shane for helping me get this #$#$#$ situation fixed. After much a-do, I've finally got L&T working via FCut. If you read down to the bottom of the first post, you'll see that there is a confusing amount of software with similar functions to sort through. Seems like it's some kind of sick initiation into the tapeless arena. . eye rolling smiley thumbs up
now ready to edit in back of the army truck....
Re: XDCAM EX Workflow Part 2
October 06, 2010 12:55AM
Be prepared. Sony is going to release a new software utility called . . . XDCAM Browser within the week. It's distinctive name will clearly differentiate it from Clip Browser and XDCAM Transfer. In an effort to consolidate the software it will combine some of the functions of Clip Browser and XDCAM Transfer, but not all functions are incorporated but they'll be some new and improved functions . . . so of course instead of consolidating anything you'll need all three . . . until they update XDCAM Browser . . . but they'll never tell you when they've done that and you'll have to figure out which of the many national sites will get the updated version .

After dealing with the Sony minefield, editing in the back of the army truck will be comparatively easy.
October 06, 2010 01:26AM
I think a FAQ update would be good. Btw, what's the omneon server? I heard of it a few times, but never really looked into it.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 06, 2010 02:05AM
If anything you made the army truck demo go viral. Good on you!

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 06, 2010 02:10AM
I think a FAQ update would be good. Btw, what's the omneon server? I heard of it a few times, but never really looked into it

What lots of big time broadcasters use. Big, fast and designed for the big boys.

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 06, 2010 07:50AM
I heard of it, but I also heard it's some sort of container format, and from the cinemon features, it seems to have some similar features to mxf.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 06, 2010 08:04AM
They sell bigass broadcast-oriented systems that I've never seen in person, but that make me nervous on general principle. I don't know much about them, and should probably read up on them to see what they're all about.

DM
October 06, 2010 09:06AM
Has anyone used XDCAM Transfer in place of Final Cut L & T? Seems like they do the same thing. XDCAM transfter opens when you File/import/XDCAM. Might even be a little easier to use than FC L & T?
October 06, 2010 09:16AM
Yes I have. I prefer L&T, because you can set logging bin, and you can import the clips into multiple FCP bins, instead of having everything appear in the main FCP browser. People used to use XDCAM Transfer because it was faster (and I believe it supports XDCAM HD), but I never had a problem with the speed of XDCAM EX ingest. But essentially, with both installed, and you want to do a batch recapture from footage ingested with XDCAM Transfer, FCP will use the L&T tool.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 07, 2010 10:03AM
The new XDCAMBrowser software is now available at . . . .
Sony Canada site and NOT the USA site.
See previous thread for link to Sony Canada.
October 07, 2010 10:14AM
Time to do up the FAQ...

www.strypesinpost.com
October 07, 2010 11:11AM
Okay, I just ran the new XDCAM browser and I couldn't get it to "register clips" for Final Cut.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 07, 2010 11:48AM
Can you include step by step what you tried?
Did you target a destination in its prefs for example?
Did you open it through FCP or as standalone?
October 07, 2010 12:32PM
Opening it in FCP brings up the old xdcam transfer tool. I did set the location in the prefs. Maybe I need to re start my Mac after the installation, but I'll look into it tomorrow.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 07, 2010 02:55PM
In FCP there's now an Import XDCAM Browser in addition to Import XDCAM. The former opens the new XDCAM Browser.
Apparently XDCAM Browser can not wrap to .mov unless FCP is open.

In short, while XDCAM Browser can wrap to .mov when called within FCP like XDCAM Transfer, it can not do it as a stand alone like XDCAM Transfer.

So it seems XDCAM Browser is like ClipBrowser with the addition of being able to call in from within FCP for direct wrap to .mov import.

You can already import from within FCP with XDCAM Transfer. You can already import from within FCP with Log & Transfer with Sony Plugin.

You can use ClipBrowser to copy BPAV. You can now use XDCAM Browser to copy BPAV.

XDCAM Browser improves my workflow how?
October 07, 2010 07:49PM
I guess by having one more piece of software on the Canadian site that does both but with more terminology, it will confuse people less.

By default, the data verification for copying the BPAV clips in XDCAM browser is set to off?!?! That's a horrible default!

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics