Exporting from fcp to DVCPRO50

Posted by skiddder 
Exporting from fcp to DVCPRO50
October 06, 2010 08:59AM
I am having trouble both importing and exporting. Once I figured out how to get all my minidv tapes into a workflow and thought that I had them on a DVPRO tape I took them to NBC and they wouldn't work on their machines. I have my sequence settings to "DV NTSC 48 kHz" Capture preset to the same. Device control preset to "FireWire NTSC NDF" and video playback "Apple FireWire NTSC (720x480)

Any suggestions?
Re: Exporting from fcp to DVCPRO50
October 06, 2010 09:16AM
Is it DV or is it Dvcpro? Why are you working with NDF?

www.strypesinpost.com
October 06, 2010 09:22AM
DVCPRO. I don't know why it's on NDF. I thought that was what it needed to be on.
October 06, 2010 09:27AM
Could you have set the deck to record in LP mode?

www.strypesinpost.com
October 06, 2010 09:34AM
>I don't know why it's on NDF. I thought that was what it needed to be on.

Not for broadcast. You would probably use NDF on film workflows to do your conforms, but I don't usually work with film.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 06, 2010 09:48AM
Ok. So I set it to DV NTSC 48 kHz but now on the video playback it says "missing apple firewire..."
October 06, 2010 10:24AM
Wait. I just read your title.. Is it dv? Dvcpro or dvcpro50? If it is dv50, it would be on dv50 tapes and you would capture as dv50, not dv NTSC. And yea, if you used ndf timecode, ingest as ndf.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 06, 2010 10:27AM
DVCPRO50 codec. But NBC said they want to try DVPRO 25, which I don't even know what 25 is.
October 06, 2010 10:34AM
What do you mean by "try"? You have gone to tape, and you are trying to capture. You do not "try" a different format at this stage. Dvcpro 50 and Dvcpro 25 are different tape standards, and they use different compression schemes. Both Dvcpro 25 and Dvcpro 50 are Panasonic tape formats. Dvcpro 25 is similar to Sony's mini DV standard in the NTSC world, and in fact FCP uses the same DV codec for Dv and Dvcpro (also known as Dvcpro25). It is called Dvcpro25, because it records 25Mb/s on tape. Dvcpro 50 on the other hand, is much higher quality than DV25 and records at 50 Mb/s on tape. They both use different tapes and different tape decks. If you were using a Dvcpro 50 deck, you will capture from a Dvcpro 50 deck as Dvcpro 50, and if you recorded with NDF timecode you capture with NDF timecode.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 06, 2010 11:07AM
Thank you. That is exactly my concern. The DVCPRO50 deck that I have is new to me and I didn't think it did DVCPRO25. I would rather do everything straight forward using what I have with the panasonic dvcpro tapes that I have(aj-p33mp).

Now should I set playback output to Apple... DVCPRO50 NTSC or just Apple...NTSC?
October 06, 2010 12:25PM
If you have a dvcpro 25 tape and a dvcpro25 recorder, use dv NTSC.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 06, 2010 01:58PM
I made tapes on both NTSC and DVCPRO50 NTSC they worked great on both my decks and they didn't work at NBC. They are using an analog deck. Is there a setting on my deck that should be changed?
October 06, 2010 02:22PM
>They are using an analog deck.

There is no such thing as an analog Dv deck.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 06, 2010 02:26PM
It is my understanding that it is Analog DVCPRO.
October 06, 2010 02:27PM
One of the last analog video formats was Hi8. Are they using a Hi8 deck? If they are, you need to deliver Hi8.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 06, 2010 02:31PM
No. I was just there and didn't write down the exact number of the decks. But they are for sure Panasonic and for sure have DVCPRO on them. They were attempting to change the input and the only options were DVC, DV, DVCAM, and I think SDI.
They didn't seem to know a lot about changing settings in their deck but said they were older and used to only doing SD.
October 06, 2010 02:32PM
There's no such thing. DVCPRO is a digital format.

All the best,

Tom
October 06, 2010 02:35PM
Ok. Thanks for trying.
October 06, 2010 02:38PM
Let's start with troubleshooting. You seem to have made a lot of assumptions, which will only serve to maximize the chances of human screw ups. I'm assuming you have set FCP to capture dv NTSC and your tape is dvcpro, and you are trying to capture off a dvcpro deck via FireWire. Check if it is a problem with the deck by running capture on another tape from NBC. If you cannot capture, try changing the FireWire cable, and trashing your FCP prefs. If you are able to capture, then check if your tape was set to record in lp mode. You should be on sp mode. Check if the deck was indeed recording dv 25 and not dv50.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 06, 2010 02:46PM
*DVCPRO50 deck. I have a tape that was working fine last week. Now that I have adjusted settings it imports for about 4 seconds fine then crashes. How do I check lp/sp mode?
October 06, 2010 08:57PM
>Now that I have adjusted settings it imports for about 4 seconds fine then crashes.

What settings? Are you sure your deck is recording Dvcpro25? Also, can you play the tape on the capturing deck and watch it on a monitor? The capture deck seems to be a dv deck, which is able to playback dvcpro25.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 07, 2010 09:18AM
I am not sure if it's DVCPRO 25. But I can play it on the deck and watch from my sony monitor. The deck is a AJ SD93 and has more functions than NBC's older decks.
October 07, 2010 07:46PM
OK, that deck is switchable to DV25. So you need to make a product that can be exported to tape on those settings, so that the deck at the station (which will not deal with DV50) can read the tape.

October 08, 2010 08:40AM
That was it. There is a setting in the deck that allows to only ingest DVCPRO 25. It was very difficult to find and I wouldn't have been able to do it without help. But now that the deck is set up right everything is working.

Thank you!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics