OT - Monitor Specs - Key stats

Posted by J.Corbett 
OT - Monitor Specs - Key stats
October 06, 2010 10:33PM
I need a larger screen so i am looking at 27" screens and start trying to extract what spec is most important to look at. I am currently on a 50000:1 viewsonic.

i was told that this contrast ratio was very critical to color. There are other spec that stand out to me also such as connections and this ms thing which i think has something to do with motion response. On 500. plus screens i see the ms getting higher not sure if thats good or bad.

I am not sure of what the 3 most important specs are. I do web design (PS,AI,FC, Flashpro) and i also edit with FCS and Production premium.

If you were looking for a good monitor what specs would be the most important ones to consider?

Here is specs from one i have looked at. (kinda a front runner without knowing the extra info i hope to gain here)

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: OT - Monitor Specs - Key stats
October 07, 2010 02:06AM
Dynamic contrast is bs for a professional reference monitor.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 07, 2010 11:06AM
For computer monitors in the size range of 26" to 30" anything less than $500 is okay only for non-critical color applications. For a monitor that can be reliably color calibrated (with hardware), and work consistently well for professional color critical applications, you need to spend around $900 on up (in the US, online pricing).

I suspect the model you aren't specifically mentioning (just showing part of the specs) is the Viewsonic VX2739wm. This is a "cheaper" gaming and general purpose computer monitor. Looking at other Viewsonic monitors, the only one of your size requirement that seems adequate (for color critical work) is the Viewsonic Pro VP2655wb (~$950 online).

For professional use in color critical situations (print and web), I would suggest looking at some of the better NEC and Dell models (in the ~$1000 price range). For a bit more, the HP Dreamcolor monitors are excellent and support 10-bit per channel color (and they can be used as external video monitors only when coupled with something like the Geffen DVI to HDMI scaler/deinterlacer/Y'CbCr to RGB converter box, in order to get a proper video signal into the monitor).

Whatever you connect to your computer display card behaves as a computer monitor, not a proper video display (without proper conversion HW and a truly video-capable display). DVI and HDMI connectors on a computer display don't mean they can properly handle and display a video reference signal.

Of course, if all you need is more screen real estate for windows, etc., then a cheaper option may work well enough (cheaper monitors can be hard on the eyes, in some cases).

Some things to chew on...
;-)

-Dave

P.S. - I mention "good enough" options, not the truly best-of-breed professional options, which would include monitors (for computer use, not video) like Eizo and others...
October 09, 2010 10:58AM
D-Mac
I suspect the model you aren't specifically mentioning (just showing part of the specs) is the Viewsonic VX2739wm.

Good Call.
I have an external plasma on a decklink for monitoring and i have been using a 22" Viewsonic TN Monitor that now give me green dust and some kind of squiggly group of gnats floating around lately. Its the main screen connected to a Ati 5770. I wanted to get an IPS monitor but they are quite pricey at this size.

The main thing is screen real estate, though most of my web work is done with this screen. Plus i am thinking if i can just get through till next summer, the IPS monitors my be less expensive and maybe i can get one that doesn't ghost as much as the current 6ms(ish)models.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics