updating video card

Posted by chiyoon 
updating video card
October 13, 2010 10:35AM
I have a Mac Pro Dual Core Intel Xeon, 2.66 Ghz and am working in FCP 6.0.6. I started having problems rendering ProRes FX on my latest project. I found this thread on the Apple Forum below on updating my video card.

[discussions.info.apple.com]

My question still is, is the ATI HD 3870 the way to go, or should i spring for the ATI 4850, and where is the best place to buy this card? I couldn't find what was supported for my machine and what wasn't..

cy
Re: updating video card
October 13, 2010 10:55AM
What sort of problems?

www.strypesinpost.com
October 13, 2010 11:01AM
I got the message (and i'm paraphrasing here) "This effect of this size is not supported by this graphics card". I looked up this message and it was in general, the graphics card wasn't up to snuff. This makes sense. I have one regular monitor at 4:3 and one HD monitor, so I'm guessing this is also making the graphics card chug a little harder. I also lowered the render settings to see if that would help but it didn't.
October 13, 2010 11:06AM
In sequence settings, switch render quality to 8 bits. Otherwise, you can try unhooking one monitor to see if that lets you render in 32 bit floating point.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 13, 2010 11:11AM
I did switch the render quality to 8 bit (one of the solutions on the interweb) and it didn't work; I still got the error message. I didn't unplug the monitor because frankly, i don't wanna unhook my monitor every time I render. I think I just have to pony up for a new graphics card, just wondering what is compatible with my machine... I can't seem to get a straight answer on that really anywhere.
October 13, 2010 11:17AM
I find that quite interesting, because it used to be quite common a while ago.. And I used to have that on a workstation that was using a very old ATI card with 128MBs of VRAM. When I later upgraded to FCP 6.0.5, as well as the OS, I no longer had that warning and was able to render FXplugs. I suspected that the update fixed the issue. Not sure why you're seeing that.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 13, 2010 07:35PM
What was on your sequence any images with sizes over and I believe it's 4,000 pixels?

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics