firewire ntsc basic or Firewire ntsc that is the question

Posted by J.Corbett 
firewire ntsc basic or Firewire ntsc that is the question
August 01, 2006 08:06PM
i keep looking at firewire ntsc basic and firewire ntsc. whats the difference?

as a side question i offer this. if eye tell fcp that the device i am capturing for is not dv ntsc 48 but that its hdv what would happen?

i know i sorta asked this question b4 but i am still looking for ways to improve my capture without buying a big budget capture card.

oh and since i am just running off at the text:-0

if i were to get a capture card in the future what would be my best mid budget choice?
Re: firewire ntsc basic or Firewire ntsc that is the question
August 01, 2006 08:06PM
ps i cant buy one for a month.
August 02, 2006 01:40AM
if you are working with HDV, youre kinda off on the wrong foot to begin with.
its at best a "narrow use" format... and if you ask me - a fleeting, transitional format - a la 8-track tape

you wanna improve your capture quality? choose a better format. HDV is what it is... BUT that all depends on what your end goal is - which you havent told us?
August 02, 2006 09:03AM
Firewire NTSC Basic is designed for Canon cameras, which don't support the full array of firewire features. What specific features, I do not know. But if you're using a Canon camera and Firewire NTSC doesn't work for you, switch to Basic and you should be able to work.

travis ballstadt
www.thrillcateditorial.com

G5DP2.5ghz, 4.5gbRAM, 2TB external SATA, Panasonic AJ-D455, G4PB1ghz, 15", 1gbRAM
August 02, 2006 02:22PM
->->-> BUT that all depends on what your end goal is - which you havent told us?

well my good friend, i am trying to get a capture quality closer to what i see on my regular tube tv monitor. see when i use a video rca from camera direct to the tv i love what i see from my dvx100b, but once captured i feel as if i have lost about 5% of the quality, which isn't terrible but then come the compressor and DVDSP4. so by the time i see it on my living room tv or in one of my viewers i have lost 15-20% of the quality. WOW!!!

the main difference is that it seems darker and a little muddy.

now i am a vbr two pass best quality activist so i am thinking with the limited knowledge i have of just finding the highest quality setting, i should not see this pronounced degradation of the quality.

1 out of every 15 of my clients mention it but are not disenchanted enough to to stop writing the check. its just me and my anal disorder.

i only shoot in in 30p / 24p / regular dv - have worked with hd but only twice

any suggestions would be grand
August 02, 2006 02:33PM
man, i fully get the "anal disorder" - so to speak anyway... thats why ive totally ignored HDV and moved into DVCproHD.

i think what you are speaking of is a natural symptom of the DV25 recording format.

what you see coming from the RCA connection is just what the lens sees - NOT what the tape sees. you might have luck doing live capture to FCP and bypassing tape all together, but that means youd have to have a computer in the field. i did this once on a talking head interview a few years back. worked well, bit only n a very controlled environ...
August 02, 2006 06:03PM
the difference between FW NTSC & FW NTSC Basic has nothing to do with image quality, it's camera/deck control protocol.

travis ballstadt
www.thrillcateditorial.com

G5DP2.5ghz, 4.5gbRAM, 2TB external SATA, Panasonic AJ-D455, G4PB1ghz, 15", 1gbRAM
August 03, 2006 11:39PM
I don't know if this applies, but if you are doing a 35mm show, capturing from DVCAM, you are likely to get strange offsets from your .ale file if you don't use basic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics