Multiclip 4-Up Playback from the Timeline

Posted by Gthanos 
Multiclip 4-Up Playback from the Timeline
October 20, 2010 01:10PM
Trying to figure out how to make Multiclip's play 3 different angle streams while playing back in the Timeline, not the viewer. The reason for this is because the Multiclips are video only and are matching to Audio recorded seperately that has been synced up in the timeline. We tried including the Audio tracks in the multiclip, but it never worked stayed in sync so we only grouped the video clips, and then I am trying to watch them back with the audio from the timeline. Is this possible?

Thanks
G

FCP 7.0.2
MAC 2x3GHZ
7GB RAM
MATROX MXO2 Mini
OS 10.6.4
Re: Multiclip 4-Up Playback from the Timeline
October 20, 2010 04:50PM
If I am understanding you correctly, there might be two possibilities.

1. Make the multiclip like you would with anything else. Take the best audio and drop it into the timeline and lock it. You will be able to edit the video without changing the audio.

2. Another solution is a little bit less refined. Open each clip in the viewer. In the motion tab, reduce each clip to 50% (or whatever it takes to get each clip to take up 1/4 of the canvas window. Move each clip so you can see all three at once. Enlarge the window so you can see them better.

Hope it helps,

Mike
October 20, 2010 10:00PM
I'd do the first suggestion. In fact, I usually unlink my audio when doing multiclips. Plus, isn't there a video only option? I think it's in the sync menu.
October 21, 2010 12:09AM
Yea, set the sync to either gang or open. It is the center drop down menu on the canvas. Can't remember which one of the two options does that.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 24, 2010 11:06AM
Hey!
If you want audio in the clips in multiclips, you have to sync each clip separately, render a self contained QT and take these back in for editing.
Otherwise your audio will always drop out of sync. I had that two years ago on a big show, no fun... btw. it´s a bug.

cheers

hamaca
October 24, 2010 11:57AM
"btw. it´s a bug."

Eh?

All the best,

Tom
October 24, 2010 01:28PM
A very strange phenomenon happened to all clips in a multiclip that came with external sound.
Two to four camera shoot P2 plus sounddevices to CF all TC sync. In FCP we sync sound to video of each camera, then made a multiclip. After two days of editing, sometimes even earlier the multiclips dropped wide out of sync. The work around is to generate SCQT with audio and video same length.
It seems like final cut does strange things with external sound.
This behavior can be reproduced, so I call it a bug.
October 24, 2010 01:51PM
I would maintain that FCP multiclip function in general is buggy. It was using multiclip that I saw the burgeoning project file sizes and the huge (+50MB) empty project. I've seen the problem that hamaca is talking about.

There are many things I like about the FCP multicam function better than AVIDs but it's too unstable for my tastes.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
October 24, 2010 02:13PM
I've never heard of merged clips working in multicam. I assumed they just weren't supported.

All the best,

Tom
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics