DV-PAL MiniDV Capturing - No Video

Posted by robbieshaw 
DV-PAL MiniDV Capturing - No Video
July 12, 2006 02:58PM
Hey there:
I'm trying to capture from a DV-PAL tape into FCP 5.0.4 on to different G5's, system 10.4.6, QT 7.6, using DSR-11 and/or DSR-20 decks.
Upon capturing I have device control, but in the Capture Suite it says "Preview Disabled" (no picture playing) and when I try to capture, it complains that no timecode is playing, and that "device must be in VTR mode."
I'm choosing "DV-PAL" in easy set-up. Video and Audio are both enabled in Clip Settings. Device Control is set to "DV-PAL"... I've tried all of the various canned setups for PAL in the Easy SetUp menu...to no avail.
I've tried on 2 different G5's with both a Sony DSR-11 AND a Sony DSR-20. The tape is playing fine through my pro monitors when I'm controlling through the capture window...just can't capture.
It kind of seems like it's write-protected or something. But hard to believe since it's just a Panasonic Mini-PAL tape.

ANY IDEAS????
Many thanks all.
Robbie
Re: DV-PAL MiniDV Capturing - No Video
July 12, 2006 03:21PM
This one burns me all the time.

I think it's Final Cut Pro, Audio Video Settings.

Make sure all those settings point to the DV connections, not anywhere else or "off."

Koz

July 12, 2006 04:27PM
Thanks for your prompt reply. I went into the Audio/Video tab and made sure that it was was set to Firewire for input in all cases. Still no video in capture suite.

This is seeming buggy - hah?
July 12, 2006 04:37PM
<<<This is seeming buggy - hah?>>>

No. It's a bug when 2,000 people all write in about exactly the same problem and you can break your machine in exactly the same way.

1,998 to go.

You just have a minor operations problem.

When you're in Log and Capture, make sure the Capture Settings tab is pointing to the DV deck. Try to set to "Uncontrolled Device" and run the deck manually--press play. Does the picture arrive in the capture window?

Koz

July 12, 2006 04:55PM
Oh my - user error after all! I didn't change the switch on back of deck to PAL. I guess I was thrown because it played the tape fine...just not through firewire. Anyhow, this fixed it!

Thanks.
R
July 12, 2006 08:12PM
Well, at least it wasn't the power switch. ;-)

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
October 25, 2010 02:36PM
Are you using the Sony DSR-25 deck? That switch placement (in the back) is the worst. It got me too!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics