Boinx TV

Posted by Cris McConkey 
Boinx TV
October 20, 2010 02:00PM
Has anyone been using Boinx TV for live camera switching, compositing, and CG?

I have been thinking about this for awhile. The software is pretty affordable, but it requires a powerful computer and graphics card. The output is via screen capture, and is limited to display resolution.

Issues for which I'm concerned include audio/video sync and camera switching. I want clean cuts and smooth fades, and not, say, a momentary black screen between cuts.

If you've been using this product and are willing to pass along some of your experience with it, I'd appreciate hearing from you. I am considering a new computer mainly to have this capability. (I am also at the limits of my Macbook Pro for HD sequences).

--Cris
Re: Boinx TV
October 20, 2010 02:20PM
We use it to stream SuperMeets live. Works great. And yes you need a MacPro with a good graphics card, although the standard card that comes with it works fine. Also helps to have a dedicated ethernet line.

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 24, 2010 11:42AM
Hello Cris,

I also experienced the momentary black between cuts, but learned I was using the software incorrectly. My mistake was assigning a camera to each layer and cutting between layers. The solution is to use the "camera switcher" layer and assign each of your camera sources to a hot key within that layer. Once I did that, camera switching was very responsive. I'm using a macbook pro with 2.8GHz and have been happy with the software so far.
October 26, 2010 12:32AM
Dear Michael and Losangelo,
Thanks for you reply. I am glad to hear that the momentary black hiccups are not a pervasive issue. I have a Macbook pro 2.4 GHz with NVIVEA GeForce 8600M GT graphic chip. Last I tried, with a previous version of Boinxtv, it didn't make the grade. I didn't want to making the investment for a new MacPro without getting some assurance that the system will work for me. Does the new version also use Gabberaster?

Can I can record 720p30 or 720p60 to disk using DVCPRO HD 720p60 or Apple ProRes 422 while sending out, say, h.264 stream for the livestream at smaller pixel size and datarate? I was thinking of using a turbo.264 HD with Quicktime Broadcaster. QTB has record to disk, but that is going to be the same compression as for the stream to the cloud server for the live stream.

How, then, do I save the switched camera output as something I can edit later for DVD and BluRay, as well as use to generate highe quality source video for video on demand? Am I going to need a second computer?

How do you handle this?
October 26, 2010 12:44AM
Have you looked here?

[www.boinx.com]

Also, you might want to contact Boinx support if your questions are not answered in the Knowledge Base. They are in Munich so figure in 9 hours ahead if you are in So Cal.

Everyone who uses this software has different needs.

Michael Horton
-------------------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics