Transition timing

Posted by envisaging 
Transition timing
October 24, 2010 01:32PM
Is there any way to change the default transition timing? I know how to change the default transition, but if I want every transition to come in at say 15frames rather than 1:00sec. how can that be changed?
Re: Transition timing
October 24, 2010 02:20PM
Make the transition the way you want it including the duration. Open it into the viewer and use the Make Favorite Effect function. Make the favorite your default transition.

All the best,

Tom
October 24, 2010 07:48PM
To change the duration, double click the transition in the timeline to load it into the viewer. Then, in the top left corner timecode box, type 15 and hit return. This will make the transition 15 frames long. Change it to 200 and it will be 2 seconds long, 12 for 12 frames and so on. Then do as Tom said to make it your default. I usually drag it to my favourites bin and rename it as well.

October 25, 2010 09:25PM
what i do is simply change the duration on the transition in the effects tab,
then right click and choose "make default"

you don't HAVE to make it a favorite,
but doing that does make it a bit easier to find in the future.

nick
October 25, 2010 10:15PM
Changing the duration of a transition, dip to color dissolve for instance, in the Effects tab will only work as long as the application remains open. When it's closed the default duration will reset to one second.

All the best,

Tom
October 25, 2010 10:58PM
hi Tom.

i didn't know about that,
but i'm not seeing that behaviour here *exactly*

you are right: in the BROWSER the duration does indeed reset to a default 1.00,
but when i apply a default transition in the TIMELINE, (using Command T or by right clicking) it's still my custom duration.

weird... buggy in fact.
anyway i guess it shows there's a bit more security working with Favorites.

cheers,
nick
October 26, 2010 01:53AM
Except of course that your favorites are part of your preferences and disappear if prefs are trashed unless backed up with Preference Manager.

All the best,

Tom
October 26, 2010 09:25AM
Yes, it's quite buggy. If you just change the duration in the Effects tab it doesn't stick. Cmd-T still gave me one second, even though cross dissolve was set as the default and the Effects tab said 15 frames. I had to manually set the default again to make the 15 frame stick. Why it sticks

On the other hand if you change a parameter on a transition like to dip to color the color change will not stick at all. Filter parameters will stick as long as the application is open, but transition parameters don't stick at all, except for the transition duration. And the transition duration that sticks after the application closes and reopens can be arbitrary. I changed dip to color to 15 frames. It says 15 frames in the Effects tab, but it shows up as nine frames. After you reopen the app the Effects tab has reset to 1:00 but the transition produced with the shortcut is till nine frames. I don't what that's all about. (Plenty of handles BTW.)

All the best,

Tom
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics