Recombining FCP projects in to one project

Posted by Alex Hanawalt 
Recombining FCP projects in to one project
October 26, 2010 09:27PM
I have a project with about 2000 XDCAM clips, 500 WAV files, multiclips, sequences, etc., that I divided up in to 3 separate projects a couple months ago. I'm trying to recombine the 3 projects in to one project now but I'm encountering errors every single way I try to do it. In the past, I've just dragged the files and folders between projects, watched the beachball spin for a bit, and then it was done. Now, either the files don't show up after the beachball's been spinning or fcp quits. I've tried moving smaller increments and that didn't help. I've tried exporting to XML, and media managing to offline - and have discovered that both those processes fail as well. I can't figure out what the glitch is, but it looks like I'm stuck with this movie in 3 separate projects. Does anyone know of a way to troubleshoot this?
Re: Recombining FCP projects in to one project
October 26, 2010 10:50PM
Sounds like your project is simply too big. What is the size of your FCP project file? You may need to work in parts.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 27, 2010 12:44PM
I agree with Strypes. You should also tread carefully when using media that isn't fully optimized for FCP.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
October 27, 2010 07:55PM
can i ask why are you wanting to combine into one project?

nick
October 28, 2010 08:26AM
Believe me, having coped with inherited multiple projects like this, you would like everything in one file if you could do it. But it feels like FCP's project file craps out after bulging to half a gig, often less. So the ability to load more than one project at a time is something of a blessing.

When trying to join projects, however, I always close the timelines so no active sequences are in RAM-- sometimes this interferes with copying. I also make sure the disk holding the project has 10% overhead. By habit i store all projects in AN FCP Projects folder within the OSX Documents folder and that has served for many years now.

Wouldn't it be great if we had a reliable way of using Media Manager to join multiple projects into one, separate from consolidating? Or maybe creating a solid virtual project containing everything in one Browser?

My .02

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Play from Playhead to Out Mark with Shift-P !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
October 28, 2010 07:22PM
Do you mean joining sequences to make one show? I've been doing this for years with nesting. The final output is all the sequences dropped together into a single sequence. This system also allows lots of people to work on different cuts for the show, so that the project isn't checked out by one editor all the time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics