exporting DVCpro 50 editing and importing again to free HD space

Posted by maltess 
exporting DVCpro 50 editing and importing again to free HD space
October 30, 2010 10:27AM
Hello to everyone

I have an edit in DVCpro 50 which is like 120 minutes long, I would like to export this as a file and then import again the same file to Final Cut. This editing is the result of 20 hours of DVC pro 50 that are in my hard disk. If I do this I could clean the HD and work onlu with those 120 minutes, is not the final editing, I still have to work with that. Can I do this in a way that I dont loose any quality? to have exactly the same I have now, how can I do this if is possible? whwn I have done something similar with other formats I have observed some quelity loss

Thanks a lot for your help and kind regards
Re: exporting DVCpro 50 editing and importing again to free HD space
October 30, 2010 10:40AM
Don't re-export the edit for this purpose. Quality isn't the issue. Using a clip that isn't your raw footage to edit with means you lose timecode, and any reference to the original camera masters. It's also enormously inflexible because a re-export will not have any handles. You can only cut down further; you can't re-extend a shot beyond what was used in that particular version.

Go ahead and export a full-quality movie file of the edit if you want. But use that as an archival piece (picture reference for the current progress). Don't edit with it.

If you have to, use Media Manager to create a "trimmed" version of the sequence and its media. But only do this if you're sure you don't need any alternate takes except the ones you have in your current edit, plus some handles to allow for shifts in cut points.

Do you really need that drive space? Because these days, my view is that it's usually better to leave your media alone until the project is actually finished, especially since your media is only 20 hours of DV50. That's peanuts -- better to buy more drive space than to risk messing with your edits or closing off options in the future.

www.derekmok.com
October 30, 2010 09:05PM
Like Derek says, it's best to leave yourself access to all your media if you can. but if you really can't or don't want to, just put all the selects on one timeline (or divide them into groups of timelines if this suits you better) and go to File > Export > Quicktime. Do not choose quicktime conversion.

Then make sure the settings are 'Current Settings' (this outputs a file that exactly matches your timeline settings) and that the 'make movie self contained' box is ticked. This ensures that after you delete all the other media, this file can still function as a standalone unit that doesn't have to reference your deleted media.

October 30, 2010 09:40PM
> Then make sure the settings are 'Current Settings' (this outputs a file that exactly matches your
> timeline settings) and that the 'make movie self contained' box is ticked. This ensures that after you
> delete all the other media, this file can still function as a standalone unit that doesn't have to
> reference your deleted media.

Really, the only times I'd recommend this approach are:

a) If you have a timeline used to build effects, and you now want the effects as one standalone clip to avoid repeat rendering, and you plan to preserve the timeline where the effect was created anyway; or

b) If you're cutting a talent reel or compilation of the kind, where the self-contained files are the only media available.

Otherwise, I would say, NEVER edit with re-exported files. One file corruption and you lose all your edits.

www.derekmok.com
October 31, 2010 01:22AM
What Derek said. You can use media manager to trim (copy, delete unused media), but it does not sound advisable for what you are doing.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics