Ghostly after image

Ghostly after image
November 01, 2010 03:33PM
Hi, So i filmed a play the other night. First off i have a MAC OS X VS 10.5.8 and I'm editing on FCP 5.1.4 and I shot on a SONY HDV HDR-FX1 in STANDARD DEF. using Sony Premium MiniDV's. I shot in widescreen and stretched it back out using the panoramic option. And when I export, I export to an FCP file, the file is NOT self-contained.

My settings are
CUSTOM
1280 X 720 HDTV 720p (16:9)
PIXEL ASPECT RATIO: SQUARE (Anamorphic is NOT checked)
FEILD DOMINANCE: LOWER (EVEN)
EDITING TIMEBASE: 29.97
TIMECODE RATE: SAME AS EDITING TIMEBASE

QUICKTIME VIDEO SETTINGS
COMPRESSOR: VIDEO
QUALITY: 100%

Okay so i think that's all the information i can drop, if i have missed anything, please let me know.

Okay, So I've edited the hour n a half play, and everything is fine. The canvas displays everything perfectly. Everything has been color corrected. The issue is that when i export it out, the well lit actors/actresses leave ghostly after images on the black unlit back drop.

Is there anyway to fix this?

Thanks for all your help.
Re: Ghostly after image
November 01, 2010 03:39PM
>My settings are
>CUSTOM

My eyes opened up when I saw that. Your settings are all wrong if you shot SD. Edit it in an SD timeline. You do not gain quality by cutting in a larger frame size, and also, your sequence setting is wrong. 720p HD is a progressive only format.

>The canvas displays everything perfectly.

It doesn't matter. Monitor your work on a broadcast monitor.

www.strypesinpost.com
November 01, 2010 03:41PM
the thing is that its the only way i can get it to export in true widescreen, any other format will just have it popping up in fullscreen and everyone looks stretch.

I edited it in SD.

Do you have any suggestions? Or any settings i can use?
November 01, 2010 03:56PM
Forget the term "true widescreen". That is a marketing gimmick and makes as much sense as "HD ready", "full HD" and "military justice". "Widescreen" is generally taken as a display aspect ratio of 16:9 or greater.

I had a post on aspect ratio here:
[www.lafcpug.org]

If you shot in DV, edit in DV. The best you can do is do your color correction in Uncompressed, but let's not go down that road. What is your delivery format?

www.strypesinpost.com
November 01, 2010 03:59PM
outside of the Customized settings i gave you, I'm not sure what your talking about. And as for the Widescreen. That's the only way i've been able to get it to export as widescreen. If not, it's fullscreen and will occasionally be treated as widescreen by specific programs. If i through it into IDVD, with out that setting, it gets squished into fullscreen.
November 01, 2010 04:11PM
I'm not familiar with that camera's options, but unfortunately "widescreen" is not a good term. It could mean a camera is adding "letterboxing" to the footage, in which case you need to capture and edit at 720x480; the black bars on top and bottom are part of that image. But it can also mean "anamorphic 16:9":

[www.lafcpug.org]

Forget about "getting it out in true widescreen". That is a non-issue until you get your Sequence Settings right. We can give you the correct settings for exporting for different needs, but you have to edit in the right settings first. Use a 720x480 DV NTSC Sequence so that you're not subjecting your footage to an unnecessary blowup.

www.derekmok.com
November 01, 2010 04:20PM
The camera shoots in widescreen, but the FCP is capturing it in fullscreen. I have to use the anamorphic setting in the browser to get it to pop up as widescreen in the editing booth, also both the viewer and the canvas are in widescreen as well. Before that, it would capture it in fullscreen and the viewer would be full screen and yes there would be a bar on the top and the bottom, but when exported would be fullscreen with the widescreen footage inside. So again, when i put it into the IDVD, it would show up as full screen on my widescreen tv with the grey bars on the left and right and inside that box would be the widescreen video with the black bars on the top and bottom.

So now I finally solved that problem, so when its in that setting on the exporting side, it pops up in idvd and on the widescreen tv as Widescreen, from tip to tip, not widescreen formated to fit inside of a fullscreen box.

The thing is, I've never had a problem with it before now. but for some reason, the individually lit actors/actresses are leaving weird after images on the non lit black background, but only when I export it, not when i'm editing it in the Timeline.
November 01, 2010 04:33PM
> The camera shoots in widescreen, but the FCP is capturing it in fullscreen. I have to use the
> anamorphic setting in the browser to get it to pop up as widescreen in the editing booth

Read the FAQ I linked you to. It explains anamorphic 16:9 DV -- which is supposed to be "full screen". That's why we don't use those terms ("widescreen", "full screen"winking smiley in post. Too confusing.

The HDV setting you're using is not a solution. What you're supposed to do is capture in anamorphic 16:9, edit in anamorphic 16:9 (DV Sequence), export a movie file in anamorphic 16:9 (with distorted proportions when at 720x480), then make an anamorphic DVD. For web-bound movie files, use the anamorphic Sequence and export at a frame size of either 720x405 or 854x480 to get a non-letterboxed 16:9 frame.

www.derekmok.com
November 01, 2010 04:34PM
Hi,

You should edit using a "DV NTSC 48kHz Anamorphic" sequence preset. This will work with the 16:9 DV footage from an FX1 or Z1 Sony camcorder.

On export (don't use QuickTime conversion), the QuickTime movie may not look correct in QT Player or when imported into iDVD. This can be fixed in QT Player 7 (not QT Player X), and is an entry in the FAQ Wiki:

Why does my 16:9 export display as 4:3 in Quicktime?

-Dave

P.S. - Beyond this issue, you may want to consider using another codec when you color correct, as strypes mentioned.
November 01, 2010 04:49PM
Okay, so i did your export on a small bit, the good news was that there weren't any after images of the actors and actresses, but the issue is that when i put it into IDVD, its still looking squished. Any idea on how to fix that?
November 01, 2010 04:50PM
but quicktime and quicktime conversion are my only two options to chose from when exporting.
November 01, 2010 05:24PM
> when i put it into IDVD, its still looking squished.

iDVD has had trouble dealing with anamorphic 16:9 media since the beginning. The 854x480 export setting was supposed to fix it, but I seem to remember that not working in some cases (I don't use iDVD, so I haven't been keeping up). Use DVD Studio Pro instead. A lot less headache.

www.derekmok.com
November 01, 2010 05:28PM
for me its the other way around, i've never found anything that will read my DVD STUDIO PRO burt DVD's
November 01, 2010 06:10PM
Hey, with all of your advice, i was able to figure it out and get everything to work.

Thanks for all of your help.
November 01, 2010 06:12PM
Thanks for all your help, I was able to get it figured out.

Thanks again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics