Animation codec QTs not matching what it was originally created as within FCP. Length discrepancy weirdness

Posted by julieng 
Hi there,

I have an odd issue, can't figure out what I'm doing wrong and hoping someone might be able to steer me in the right path, as I've attempted this at least 10 times and still running into weirdness.

I created a basic little graphic within FCP, using the basic text tool. I have words popping up on screen in time with what an interview subject is saying. There is one small image that also pops up beside on word. In all it's 6 layers of video - the picture at the bottom, then 5 words coming up timed. It looks fine this way playing back, perfectly timed. For example, I did something along the lines of this (not exactly this but just to give you an idea):

V1 - interviewee talking
V2 - text pops up and matches visually what he says... HE
V3 - text pops up 5 frames later... SAID
V4 - text pops up 5 frames later... BLAH
V5 - text pops up 3 frames later... BLAH
V6 - image pops up 3 frames later ... a fancy exclamation mark

However, I thought to streamline the sequence, and also to make things simpler for when we bring the project in to finish at a post house (where everything gets moved to an Avid system) -- I should be giving them my graphics as animation files. That way, the timing is exact and they don't have to recreate every layer of text, they just lay in this graphic over top my image at the correct in and out point.

I copied and pasted all the layers of my timed text blurb (just without the interview video track) into a new sequence (exact same settings as the sequence of my actually project) and exported it as an Animation file so that it would preserve the transparency, using Quicktime conversion (set to millions of colors +, best quality, 23.98fps, 1080x1920, etc.).

Seemed all good. But in my sequence, this lasts 2 seconds and 17 frames. When I look at the QT Animation file that was created from it... it's 2 seconds and 21 frames. Where are these extra 4 frames coming from? And even worse, the animation file has messed up my timing. Words are supposed to appear on screen as the guy speaks them. Now all of the sudden in the animation file, two words appear at once! Really weird. What could account for this discrepancy?

Sequence is: XDCAM EX 1080p/24 (35mb/s), frame size 1920x1080

I'm using FCP 7.03 on a MacPro 2x3 GHz Quad-Core. 4GB RAM. OS is Leopard 10.5.8 (have been reluctant to upgrade to Snow Leopard)

Can anyone fill me in on what is causing this? Something I can amend? Appreciate any help.

Thanks,
J.
Weird. Is your xdcam ex sequence 23.98 fps? Try switching the sequence codec to prores hq and export.

www.strypesinpost.com
Hello again,

I did a variation of your suggestion -- changed the render codec to be ProRes 422 (while my sequence remained an XDCAM EX sequence in 23.98). This time it worked and no weird randomness!

Maybe it was just a case of FCP being 'tired'. As I tried this again after shutting down the application and re-booting my computer....

Thanks for your suggestion!

Edited to add:

Wait. No, the same issue is back. It worked when the fades remained applied to the head and tail of my words. 5 frame cross dissolve on the first word, and a 12 frame cross dissolve on all the layers at the end. When I open the animation file in FCP, it is exact, but the fade looks a little stuttery. So I decided that I will lose the fades and just apply the fade to the finished animation file.

It's when I do THAT -- oddly -- the most simple 'export to QT conversion" - that these 4 extra frames appear, and it shifts the movements of my layers (two words appear at the same time instead of stacked to appear 3 frames after each other). I really don't get it.
julieng Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
'export to QT conversion" - that these 4 extra
> frames appear, and it shifts the movements of my
> layers (two words appear at the same time instead
> of stacked to appear 3 frames after each other).
> I really don't get it.

Try what you've been doing so far, but using export as QuickTime movie instead of export using QT conversion. See if that makes any difference.

-Dave
If I export simply as QT movie, I lose my option to save as an animation file and lose the transparency of the graphic I'm trying to make.
julieng Wrote:
> If I export simply as QT movie, I lose my option
> to save as an animation file and lose the
> transparency of the graphic I'm trying to make.

Actually, you don't lose that option. In the Export as QT Movie dialog window, choose the Setting pop-up menu and scroll down to "Custom...". You can create your own settings, including your choice of the Animation codec.

-Dave

P.S. - You may also want to consider using ProRes 4444 when you export, instead of the Animation codec, if your downstream workflow can handle it.
Thanks for the tip... I tried this, and the timing issue is solved... however, even creating my own custom "Animation" codec, I was limited in my options (nowhere to specifiy millions of colors?). I thought I filled out all the fields correctly but my alpha/transparency doesn't come through in the QT that it creates.

It seems like such a simple thing I want to do (it's quite a simple graphic), without needing to create this in after effects or something like that (which I'm not experienced in).
julieng Wrote:
> Thanks for the tip... I tried this, and the timing
> issue is solved... however, even creating my own
> custom "Animation" codec, I was limited in my
> options (nowhere to specifiy millions of colors?).
> I thought I filled out all the fields correctly
> but my alpha/transparency doesn't come through in
> the QT that it creates.
>
> It seems like such a simple thing I want to do
> (it's quite a simple graphic), without needing to
> create this in after effects or something like
> that (which I'm not experienced in).

In the Custom setting dialog window, under the codec choice is an "Advanced..." button. Clicking that will bring up another dialog window in which your "millions +" option will be available. All a bit tricky the first time you use this.

I would avoid using QT conversion for any kind of export. It is a legacy "option" and can really degrade your video, especially if you're exporting a master or archive version.

-Dave
Not sure why it gives you an additional 4 frames, because QT conversion works off the render files (which is why I told you to change your sequence settings to ProRes). You can also switch your sequence codec to Animation. But seriously, do you need to provide Animation? You can export a video with an alpha matte.

www.strypesinpost.com
Aha, okay I see the Advanced button now. I did everything the same way and exported as "save as QT movie" instead of conversion and finally all the glitchy stuff has stopped. Thank you, Dave!

As for why they have to be Animation -- that's how they have asked me to deliver stuff to them in the past. It's to simplify the re-connection of media because we won't be finishing on FCP, my project is going to get converted via Automatic Duck for an Avid online.

Still, forgive my ignorance but how DO you export video with alpha matte in FCP, just for my own edification for the future? Thanks both for your tips.

J.
Let's say you keyed something in FCP, you can use the channel swap filter to swap the alpha information into the RGB channel. You will then get a black and white matte to use as your alpha channel.

www.strypesinpost.com
Another alternative is the ProRes 4444 codec.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics