Better camera option to work with FCP

Posted by maltess 
Better camera option to work with FCP
November 04, 2010 10:31AM
Hello to everyone,

could you guys advise me about what would be a good camre to edit with FC

I want to shoot a concert with 4 or 5 small cameras and I was thinking about the sony HVRZ7U. Since this a just the time of a concert I dont need a lot of footage, so I think I can use a better format than HDV, I can record solid state, The sony has solid state but I think is HDV as well. What would be a better format than HDV than can work with FC? and what Camera? something not big like the sony or canon xl etc.

thanks a lot for your help and best regards
Re: Better camera option to work with FCP
November 04, 2010 12:49PM
Re: Better camera option to work with FCP
November 05, 2010 09:11AM
The SI 2K is a very good cam and the Iridas workflow is very good as well - but the price for buying or rental is high.

The film work I do is not that what most of you work on. Currently I do have a project for industrial research where we needed some small cams which do have good low light processing, a high speed 'auto' adaption and are light weight and small.
After some tests we came up with the ultra cheap JVC Everio GZ-HM550. Okay the codec is AVCHD and you have to convert to ProRes or another format via L&T, but that's fast. You for sure have no interchangeable lens option, the wide angle might be not wide enough - but a cheap and good wide angle adapter is available for 50 USD. Manuel settings are a bit complicated. Saturated colors - as with most CMOS cams - are over saturated; this not a real problem. Depth of field settings are not really doable with this cam.
Our thing was/is to get a high image quality to slow 1 1/2 hour of footage to get 30 hours of slow motion out of that using Twixtor that means to go from 25 fps to 500 fps - those available high speed cams can't record this amount of time.
For this kind of work image quality in regards of image detail is essential and this little cheap cam did a really good job on this - buying 4 of these (including mounts and wide angle adapters) was cheaper than the rental of one high end cam for the job.

Maybe you want to have a look at that cam and decide whether it is okay for you - but as said it lacks a lot of 'professional' things.

Andreas

Some workflow tools for FCP [www.spherico.com]
TitleExchange -- juggle titles within FCS, FCPX and many other apps.
[www.spherico.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics