Advice please on exporting still frames from FCP

Posted by harry323 
Advice please on exporting still frames from FCP
August 04, 2006 03:43PM
I'm cutting a 24p 1080 film and I need to export some frame enlargements because there was no production stills guy.

Can anyone please tell me which of the many formats available will give the highest resolution or be the most practical for this purpose?

BMP, J2, JPEG, Photoshop, PICT, PNG, Qicktime image, SGI, TGA, TIFF.

Many thanks,

Harry.

Harry Bromley-Davenport.
Re: Advice please on exporting still frames from FCP
August 04, 2006 04:14PM
PNG and TIFF.
August 04, 2006 04:18PM
Tagged Image File Format (TIFF) and Targa (TGA) are two uncompressed formats that are cross-platform. Both PCs and Macs speak both.

TIFF can use LZW compression which does well and is non-destructive.

You can do really well with JPEG if you crank the quality sliders all the way up. It turns out pictures about 3:1 or 4:1 compressed and is practically invisible--and readable by everybody.

If you edit the stills on anything but a Mac, you'te going to run into the famous Mac Brightness Boost.

Koz

August 04, 2006 04:29PM
Thank you both very much for your prompt advice.

I don't know what I'd do without help from the people on this board.

Best

Harry.

Harry Bromley-Davenport.
August 04, 2006 05:56PM
<<<I don't know what I'd do without help from the people on this board>>>

You understand you are *required* to come back and help somebody else, right? This isn't just grab the good stuff and see you later.

Doesn't matter how long you've been at this, you're going to know something that can answer somebody's question.

<<<harry323>>>

Into video conferencing are you?

Ok, so nobody's going to get that. H.323 is the videoconferencing standard (for everybody but Macs).

Koz

August 04, 2006 07:37PM
My dear Koz,

I am a little upset that you point this out to me.

Perhaps you would check my posting record - on this board and on the Sacred Cow and others.

I have responded in depth to the inquiries which are within my purview. In fact I was, astonishingly, accorded the "tip of the week" about a month or so ago by the dreaded "Headcutter" on this very board. I appeal to him herewith.

So, I somewhat resent the implication in your post that I might be, in your words, a "grab the good stuff and see you later" guy.

Not so.

Please check and reply to me personally.

You are a terrific technician and a great board member, but don't be so bossy.

Best wishes,

Harry.

(very nice guy really who lives in LA in the Hollywood Hills and welcomes LAFCPUG members to drinks at his home any evening after the sun has gone over the yard arm)

Harry Bromley-Davenport.
August 04, 2006 07:54PM
Oh, Harry, Koz is just being Koz. It's his dry humour. I think the "323" thing might have been clear enough!
August 04, 2006 09:11PM
<<<Please check and reply to me personally.>>>

Forgive me. I didn't recognize your post. If your postings have a lot to do with actual editing, I would have missed you completely. I'm not an editor. My thing is I/O. and that particular question fell into my lap.

I/O
I/O
It's off to work we go.

Koz

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics