Feedback corporate video

Posted by Aaron Zander 
Feedback corporate video
August 05, 2006 11:52PM
Hey guys I just finished cutting this comercial before i add the titles I'm trying to get some opinions

the things is ment for retail shows to attract franchisers i supose to the store.

It's socks, so nothing special but does it look ok.

Any advice is apreciated, they are called the san Fransisco and Los Angeles Sock Market (kinda like stocks, so im gonna think of some funny ticker or something going across the bottoma and do some title/contact info in some other fonts.

Im trying to think of something music wise as to what to do, any advice here, we're thinking acustics or something dunno yet.

thanks in advance heres the youtube link i can get a bigger file to any one who cares enough to want it

-Aaron

Amateur Teacher
Re: Feedback corporate video
August 06, 2006 12:36AM
No sound at all?

Don't show this thing without any sound design. For a narrative film with context that can work, but with this thing, you will get inaccurate notes because everything will feel six times longer to the viewer than if you had music, voice-over and other temp sound elements on top.

Three and a half minutes is, to me, really overlong for this. The footage isn't that interesting, and I feel like I'm watching repeats by the 45-second mark.

I'd say you should cut out 85 to 90 per cent of your wide shots. They look generic and handheld, cheapo. Seen one, seen 'em all. There was one that looked pretty good, the one with the crowds at the bottom of the frame. Pick only the best two or three, group them together, and then don't bother with them again, unless you have a voice-over script that demands repeats. The close-ups look more interesting, especially the spinning ones at a slight low angle. That said, you need to show only the most interesting socks. Many of them are just, well, socks. Concentrate on the ones with text (for example, try split-screening the ones that say "I Love L.A." and "I Love San Francisco"winking smiley, and be very strict about ruling out the weak shots.

I also don't see enough visual logic in the editing. Try this. Break the piece apart shot by shot again. Now, instead of cutting them, group them. Are there any elements that link some of the shots together? Bear in mind that your goal isn't to produce the smoothest cuts possible (so don't group shots together by camera movement); your goal is to send a coherent message about this event/these products you're shooting. So group by logic, by visual diversity and by themes. Are you going to take us through the show physically, which would be a good way to organize the narrative? What about putting all the "store signs" together to make one coherent section?

Above all...shorter, shorter, shorter, unless the length is specified for any reason. Falling asleep here. If for some reason you really had to include all those socks, try using picture-in-picture or multi-screen techniques to kill multiple socks with one stone.

As for music, if you're trying to show this piece around, you'll need to find public-domain, canned or your own composed music. But if it's just a "talent reel", I'd do a "foot" theme: "Footloose", "Head over Feet", "These Boots Were Made for Walkin'", "Kiss Your Feet" etc. As for composed music, the subject is so mundane that I'd try to go weirder with the music -- say, an Oingo Boingo or Devo approach.

If there were resources and wiggle room for some creativity, I might also consider adding some non-documentary touches to spaz it up. For example, push into a woman's shoe...

"People think about their shoes all the time. Do they think enough about what's underneath?"

(Dissolve from out-of-focus ECU on shoe to a foot in a sock, black background, as if looking *through* the shoe.)
August 06, 2006 12:44AM
This is very difficult to criticize. Without audio there is no context to give the footage. No way to talk about pacing, content...feeling. As it is...I got nothing. Bored after 20 seconds...stopped watching after 30 seconds

And the footage all seems a little horizontally squished.
August 06, 2006 01:14AM
id have to agree - there just isnt enough here to comment on...

id say that an acoustic soundtrack is very much the wrong approach - IF you are working the connection to the STOCK MARKET. something a bit more percussive, maybe electronica or techno perhaps? or even ominous theatrical? but youd need a tongue-in-cheek VO to make that work IMO...

you might actually benefit from a variety of shorter music clips.

its all gonna have a good bit to do with the content of the marketing message and the target demographic - without that info, we're all just shooting in the dark...
August 06, 2006 02:16AM
ya tehy want a three to three and 1/2 min. piece they wanted audio of poeple say "oo look at the socks" but it sounds so damn tacky it's bad. the owners refused to contribute voice, etc which makes this dif. and because of it's use in teh coorperate world getting rights for a song is, well tricky for the super low budg. were working on, were we've used 90% of our budget and whats left over is our pay, i think we have like 150 bucks left we may be able to snag our camera again for free for like a day but i dunno

good news is a mic is free so thats nice (:

other than that i don't know, im gonna talk to the people and see what they want

Amateur Teacher
August 06, 2006 11:10AM
"Ooh, look at these socks"?

I could be wrong, Aaron, but I think you might want to come up with a solution for these people. At least try. It sounds like these people don't have very good taste, and if you ask them for ideas, you might end up with crap. If you want your name on this, you may want to come up with an elegant, entertaining solution on your own, and just do it. Even doofus clients sometimes come around if you give them a good product, because they don't have enough cinematic mind and experience to come up with the ideas themselves.

One cheap way to smooth out shaky handheld camera is to use the Strobe filter, which at high settings turns your shots into stills -- and camera moves become moot. And over three and a half minutes, you may wish to consider using effects to create a different look out of some of the shots. The photography all looks the same -- pretty boring over three and a half minutes of sock footage.

I admit, though, that trying to stylize footage of socks may backfire.
August 06, 2006 12:46PM
Hi Aaron,

The one element that is missing from your video is the most important, i.e. emotion. You should read Walter Murch's "In the Blink of an Eye", which I required all my first year editing students to get. Emotion drives story which drives visuals which drives audio which drives emotion, etc.

And how do you display the emotion of the story? "Socks. baby! Austin Powers goes Sock Crazy Yeah!"...see? Just reading it is more fun than "Socks"...maybe some cheesy looking 1960's era "Batman"-type onscreen graphics like "Pow!" "Bam!" and of course "Socks!" - anything to pump up the audience interest and get the emotion going.

In our industry we must get the customer interested enough to either a) pick up the phone and order, b) get up off the couch and come to the store and buy something or (the best) c) tell ten of their friends what they saw.

Keep what you've got. pick a fun, snappy energetic piece of music, drop more shots/graphics in/on and behind the beat and then show the client.

Good luck!
August 06, 2006 03:24PM
Hi Aaron.

When working with clients for any kind of adverising, it's important to nail down just what the cleint hopes to achieve with the video. - One commercial producer I work with asks "What problem do you have that you would like to solve with your commercial". His client then usually lists a number of vague items he wants to communicate. Then, the producer works to narrow everything down to the one problem that needs to be solved. He says that if he can't do that, he will end up with nothing but a mess on his hands - and an unhappy customer.

Right now, the only thing you're communicating is that there's a store with lots of socks - after ten seconds or so, you've made your point, and your boring your viewer.

You can solve a number of your problems by adding music and VO.

Here's excerpts of a few ideas that might work for you [SayTheWords.com]

Travis
VoiceOver Guy and Entertainment Technology Enthusiast
[www.VOTalent.com]
August 06, 2006 04:21PM
The music needs to be something like Randy Newmans "I Love LA". The panning through the socks is too fast and too long. Most commercials are 30 seconds and 60 seconds at most. 3.5 minutes is terminal. How about using some stills and move them around -zoom in-out, etc.

But, you gotta have sound to pace the whole thing to. Cutting video is about telling a story, and frankly, I didn't notice any story??

August 06, 2006 04:28PM
Hi Aaron

Maybe you should cut your client a 30 second spot--
Pick out your Best shots and use those only--
add some snappy music -- make it like you want--
and see what happens--

You have too much of the same type shot
change them up more-- quicker--

using the footage you have you could
add some studder zooms -overlays- spins -
boarders - speed -direction changes ect--

The crowd shots where OK except the one in front
of the store--its real dead--get abetter one--

Also on the crowd shots get one of the crowds feet
walking - you can do alot with it--

Its worth the money to hire a pretty girl
to model the shocks -- just doing that
can take you a long way

Have her do shots like cross legs--
put shocks on -take off on on -walk-
get some socks that have toes -
and wiggle her toes ect--

Get the folks in the store to smile when you shoot--
they look imposed on -- that comes acrossed bad --

Place more people in the inside store shots--
empty store dose not make excitment --

hope this helps --Jay--
August 06, 2006 05:33PM
ok well first off travis, that just made my day, how did you get those?

that was just awsome

second after talking ith my partners we've come to the conclusion that they may be talking while this is playing, we're not sure (i'm going to find out monday) these clients have been less than decisive but they may be presenting this behind them while they talk at conventions and what not.

so that may sole this problem

and my god travis...im still laughing

Amateur Teacher
August 06, 2006 05:38PM
Aaron Zander wrote:

> Hey guys I just finished cutting this comercial before i add
> the titles I'm trying to get some opinions
>
> the things is ment for retail shows to attract franchisers i
> supose to the store.

It's not a commercial then. It's a marketing video. Keep in mind you're not selling socks, you're selling franchises

>
> It's socks, so nothing special but does it look ok.

No Story but I do think the video is servicable depending on what you do with it.

>
> Any advice is apreciated, they are called the san Fransisco and
> Los Angeles Sock Market (kinda like stocks, so im gonna think
> of some funny ticker or something going across the bottoma and
> do some title/contact info in some other fonts.

Instant low budget marketing video.

Start with shots of store marquees.

Voice sounds as if it's a radio news cast (no need to shoot anyone on camera)

You're here at K-SOCK your 24 hour sock market news report.
News ticker crawls across bottom with some important business statistics.
Sound is news style open you could create in SoundTrackPro or maybe SmartSound
Voice is chatter between two business news casters (man and woman)

(Man) Socks are up today. Market demand is really high. ToeJones is up 57points. Yarns, weaves looking strong and synthetics are bouncing back.

(Woman) Yes Foot and Heel is issuing a strong buy. Time to get the toe in the on these investments.
etc. throw in lots of puns interspersed with pitches and stats (also running stats on the bottom of screen)
(somewhere in here you can move from store marquees to business and dress socks)

(Man) Now for sports back to you

Now you cut to images of sports socks, use sports sound fx, crowds cheering and you can edit visuals to pace with the sound fx.

(Woman) Sox are having a good day at the park. Held Sandals to no runs. They couldn't hit a stitch. And now to the show report

format spoofs typical theater segment and broadway show tv commercials. Images are of more off beat socks. Music bed might be some stock shown style music.

(Man) Socks opened today to a sold out crowd. It's an uplifting story of how Shoeless Joe opened a small sock shop and made millions. Let's talk to some of the attendees.

(Woman attendees) Oh they were so cute and cuddly. The songs were toe tapping good.
(etc.)

Concept. The fake news cast can be both corny/funny and yet introduce important business facts. The radio format means you don't need anyone on camera. You focus on the socks. Each news segment introduces different types of socks so you've educated the potential franchise owner of the business benefits and shown them the very diverse product line they can sell. The sock ticker allows you to introduce additional info that you can't fit in the short script. The music is all stock music so you can avoid copywrite issues. To sell the radio effect, after recording and editing the vo script you can dump it to a cassette and play in back in a cheap cassette with speakers that sound like AM radio speakers.

You can play with this concept and have fun with the script but the above is an example of how you can create a 3 minute pieces that's both entertaining and informative and on a low budget.

>
> Im trying to think of something music wise as to what to do,
> any advice here, we're thinking acustics or something dunno
> yet.

Look at above concept. Music sells the "joke/concept" and gives you something to pace your editing against.

Craig Seeman
Third Planet Video

>
> thanks in advance heres the youtube link i can get a bigger
> file to any one who cares enough to want it
>
>

>
> -Aaron
>

Post Edited (08-06-06 20:55)

Craig Seeman
[thirdplanetvideo.com]
August 06, 2006 05:40PM
Travis I SWEAR I was writing my post not having heard this!

Keep in mind Aaron might not have the budget for that kind of announcer that's why I'm thinking of "covering" the issue by finding a cheap way to make it should AM.

Post Edited (08-06-06 15:42)

Craig Seeman
[thirdplanetvideo.com]
August 06, 2006 10:45PM
Travis, What's up man... needed some new stuff for the demo reel????????? I am laughing my @$$ off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve
August 07, 2006 01:45PM
It's too long, I don't care if it's for T.V. or franchise sales, and of course music. JMO
August 07, 2006 10:44PM
Hi Steve. Thanks for the comments. Hope you're doing well - (I Recorded a V.O. at Steve's studio early in my career.)

Aaron, thanks - I "Got Those" by firing up the 'ol computer, writing a few lines, recording them into a microphone, then mixing in some library music. The entire process took about 15 minutes.

The point I'm trying to make is that it's good for video folks to remember that they can save themselves a lot of trouble and lots of money on commercials and corporate programs by planning for an audio script and voiceover work during pre-production. You can spend a fortune trying to communicate someting visually that can be done even more effectively with audio. The audio can work with the video to provide humor, warmth, emotion, and, perhaps most importantly, information. -And, it can be done very inexpensively, compared to the costs of shooting and editing picture.

Craig - I believe you - We both grabbed the most obvious ideas and threw them in. Yours were much better!

Travis
VoiceOver Guy and Entertainment Technology Enthusiast
[www.VOTalent.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics