choppy quicktime

Posted by davidblumenfeld 
choppy quicktime
December 03, 2010 06:43AM
Hi,

I would like to show a short film I made off of my laptop (Macbook Pro) running version 10.5.8 osx. I exported the film from fcp, and when I run it on my laptop, it's a bit choppy. The final came to about 12.5 GB (its 15 minutes long). Any advice...other players, etc? When I try it on vlc, I get a apcn error...Any other ideas...players to run it smoothly?

db
Re: choppy quicktime
December 03, 2010 08:26AM
Turn the movie into an H264 file in Compressor.
The first one you made requires too high a bandwidth for your laptop to playback.

H264's are a reasonable compromise of quality and size and ease of playback. You can pick a fairly high data rate setting in the Video tab of the h264 preset you use in Compressor. The lower data rates are better for download and streaming purposes. Test everything of course.

Having done this quite a few times I recommend getting enough time with the actual set up (audio amplification, projector etc) before you do it in front of a lot of people.
If it's a REALLY important screening you can go so far as to create a new user account on your laptop, disable everything in that account that might pop up uninvited (Growl, MS notifications etc) choose a neutral coloured desktop screen, turn off audio feedback on volume changes and error beeps. Reduce the dock to just what you need, leave an alias of your movie as the only thing on the desktop. Check the prefs in Quicktime for fullscreen playback and adjust to your liking.

If it's REALLY REALLY important, rent a deck or hard drive playback system.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics